75' Duster Wheel/Rim combo question

-

faster4231

Reaction score
I have looked and looked for threads but didnt see any that completly answered my question. I have a 1975 duster custom that I just purchased this weekend (needs some work) I have an option to buy a set of American Racing rims and tires

Front

235/60/14 5 on 4.5 14x7

Rear
245/60/14 5 on 4.5 14x8

I have no mods done to the car, will these fit without rubbing or without having to make adjustments? I fear buying them and then getting stuck with a set I cannot use without major ( expensive ) mods.

Thanks, Love this site!!!!

LOL, ya just picked it up getting some body work done this weekend to it , primer, ect... also just replaced the dash pad and am going to tighten up the interior, do you know by chance if this rim/wheel size will fit on it without rubbing?

Thanks

I know for a fact the rear will fit. A 275-60-15 will fit with no mods. Tried a 235-60-15 on the front of my Duster but they were too close to the rear of the front fender for me. Ended up with 215-60-15. Wanted a 225-60-15 but could not find it at the right price. No rubbing though. Even with the 235-60-15.

Awesome thanks, I am going to sit on 14" so I am thinking with the 235/60/14 in front I should have just enough to clear. Perfect, just the answer I was looking for thanks Srduster340

the tires should work but the rims depend on the backspacing. Im running 275/60/15s on the back of my dart swinger. Im running them on police rims with no mods. The police rims are 15x7s and the back space is about 4 1/2 inches. I guess 8 inch wide rims would need about 5" of backspace? But i think around 4 1/2 is good for the 7 inch front rims as well.

I actually just remembered one important thing. I tried this exact same tire and wheel combo when i had a 7 1/4 rear and it was a no go! It rubbed so bad I couldn't even get the lug nuts on. Then when i swapped to the 8 3/4 they fit. I'm not sure if the weenie 7 1/4 rears are a tad shorter or if mine was out of another car or something.

The best possible thing do would be to drive the car there with a jack and try on the new shoes before you buy them. I figure since you just picked the car up its probably either not registered or drivable or road worthy but i figured id throw that option out there just in case.

Now if I have to add rim spacers to create a larger backspace, which I dont want to do, would this possibly work for the rear to create that 5" back space? I dont know to much about adding the larger rear

The spacers will make the backspace less. so for example if you had 4 1/2" backspacing and put a half inch spacer in you would have 4" But if your rear was narrower adding them would help widen the axle.

On another thought you could also research how wide those tires would be at the widest point and take that and your rim widths and figure out what backspacing would work. This will take a few minutes and a tape measurer but might be worth it.

Heres a web page with a bunch of wheel and tire info that might help.
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

-
Back