'75 Plymouth Duster Problem

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
Ok, my car has a minor issue. Whenever it's raining if I let off the gas pettle the car dies. But first, all the lights go dim(headlights, dashlights, and even the radio is effected) It takes for ever to get it re-started and then if I let off the gas for even a second it dies again.

It also happend twice yesterday, as I was driving in town(it was clear and not raining).

I've got a good idea of what it "could" be(moisture in the distributor) but I'd like to get you guy(s) opinions on it.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'd replaced the Altenator last month, and the Voltage Regulator 3-months ago.

You probably have carb icing. In damp weather ice forms in the throat of the carb due to the reduced temp and the moisture. Do you have a warm air duct from the 'stove' on the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner.
I used to get this all the time when it was damp and cool out with by '63 Valiant.
My father had the same problem with a '73 Scamp that had a faulty temp sensor that operated the butterfly in the air cleaner snorkle.

cuda, I don't think it gets cold enough where he is at to get any carb icing.

Does your radio turn off? Some slight dimming is normal for these cars when sitting at idle. Mine used to be bad to where my radio would turn off until I got back on the gas. It turned out to be the voltage regulator. I had just bought one 6 months before that too.

Does your radio turn off? Some slight dimming is normal for these cars when sitting at idle. Mine used to be bad to where my radio would turn off until I got back on the gas. It turned out to be the voltage regulator. I had just bought one 6 months before that too.

It doesn't have to be cold, as in around freezing. It can be 40 to 45 and this can happen.

Yeah, it does. Then when I get back on the gas it comes back on, and all the lights get brighter, ect.

Everything seemed fine with my original alternator/charging system. When I recently switched to Denso/Toyota type alternator @ idle there was dimming of lights and flickering. I went after the cheapest fix I could think of......which was running 50 cents worth of new wire from alternator to battery = problem solved completely.

Old routing was from alternator to starter then to battery. Not sure why it was'nt good enough for the Denso alt. but it golden now. Give it a try.

Edit: Can you duplicate the problem in your driveway or in your garage?

Edit: I'd also check all of the wires going to and from the battery, make sure there isnt stripped out or burned wires, look for crappy connections,,,,,,cut and re-connect,,,,,and i'd check the various grounds,,,,,double check those connections too. I fixed about 5-8 ugly connections on the battery/alternator/coil. Some were a problem and some were ugly but prolly werent causing a problem.

Edit: Condition is caused by either fuel, air, or spark. Check the air filter too try to narrow the cause down. Back when I had a 72' Monte Carlo I had a similar problem as you,,,,,,,,I was scrambling checking everything...........last thing I checked was the stooooopid air filter. Air filter was soo dirty it was choking the engine out at idle.

Take it easy,

Bad Shrimp

-
Back