75 to 73 Duster bumpers

-

powerwagon70s

Good hands, lousy taste in cars
Reaction score
I searched and found some postings on bumpers. Can I install 73 Duster bumpers on a 75 and eliminate the extra weight from the shock assys., and move the bumper closer to the car ? I would need the complete bumper and brackets, right? Is the backing for the bumper the same for certain years? Thanks for any info.

I have a 73,74,75 dusters here and just looking at them Plymouth started changing the bumper mounting area in 74 rear,the front looks to be the same as the 73 front.(I have a 74 front on mine) But the 75 they changed the front mounting also. Not sure on the the mounting holes in the bumper itself.

There was one posting here on the forum that gutted the shock assembly mounted them back onto the car and pushed the bumper where he wanted them and weld them solid.
hopes this helps

I have a 75 duster, and this is what I did. I took the rear bumper assembly off, and drilled a small hole in the each rear shock. The shock is just filled with oil which is supposed to blow the end seal out upon impact to soften the collision. Then, I put the shock in a press and pressed it down as far as it would go, which pressed the oil out of the hole. Then, I welded the piston to keep it sucked into the bore, and reinstalled it on the car, and it moved the bumper in nicely. I only had to trim the "rubber" fill between the body and car accordingly to fit the new bumper spacing. The only important thing is to make sure you get both shocks welded the same distance in so that the bumper will hang straight. Hope this helps

The 5 MPH bumpers and mounts weigh a ton compared to the older stuff. I just picked up a car from my brother. It is a 75 Duster. Before I got it he put a 72 Demon front end on it. The bumper mounts are different so he just welded the 72 Demon mounts on to the frame. It looks good and works but I want them bolted on. So I am driling the mounting holes in the frame using the brackets as a guide then put in bolts. There are holes in the frame where the bolts go in that I can put the nuts up through.

I know the Demon/Duster front ends are not the same, but they cant be that far off?

How about bumpers from a '70-'72 duster??..they look much better and might be lighter...

I'd like to use earlier bumpers but have not found any locally. I have found some Scamp mounting brackets but I am not sure that they will work on a Duster. I do not have them to look at and the car is at a friend's house being worked on. I also have found complete 73 Duster bumpers but have not priced shipping from Canada.

I'd like to use earlier bumpers but have not found any locally. I have found some Scamp mounting brackets but I am not sure that they will work on a Duster. I do not have them to look at and the car is at a friend's house being worked on. I also have found complete 73 Duster bumpers but have not priced shipping from Canada.

The Scamp has a Duster front end on it. They should work just fine.

Thanks Burntorange, I was wondering about the rear brackets, Scamp and Duster bumpers are not much alike, no? Is there a cross reference available to see if what I have will work? Appreciate the info, maybe I'm making this harder than it should be.

The Front end of a Scamp is a Duster. It will work for you. The rear end of a Scamp is a Dart. It will not work for you.

I have a 75 duster, and this is what I did. I took the rear bumper assembly off, and drilled a small hole in the each rear shock. The shock is just filled with oil which is supposed to blow the end seal out upon impact to soften the collision. Then, I put the shock in a press and pressed it down as far as it would go, which pressed the oil out of the hole. Then, I welded the piston to keep it sucked into the bore, and reinstalled it on the car, and it moved the bumper in nicely. I only had to trim the "rubber" fill between the body and car accordingly to fit the new bumper spacing. The only important thing is to make sure you get both shocks welded the same distance in so that the bumper will hang straight. Hope this helps
That is a great idea!!! Do you have any pictures?

It's not the shocks that weight a ton, it's the inner bumper, check my build thread to see what I did. A little different, but the idea is still the same. You can just cut out the inner frame leaving just enough to mount the bumper to shocks, drill a hole in the shocks and back up to a brick wall with tires in between you and push them in, done deal.

I put an early style duster rear bumper on my 74, it did require some work and the early style brackets but i got it on. It sits a lot closer to the rear of the car and also isn't as wide. It looks a lot nicer in my opinion.

On the front i put a 73 and removed all the inner braces, it is just the bumper mounted to the 74 brackets and it looks perfect. You can't tell anything has been changed and its a lot lighter

-
Back