75 Volare

-

Mark N

Reaction score
Anybody Know if a 75 Volare would work as a Donar for the Disk Brakes on a 67 Barracuda? Not sure if the Volare is a A-body or not, all I see Mentioned are darts and dusters.

Your in, Yes it's an A body. Any 73 -76 (large bolt 4.5 x 5)

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/EarlyMoparDiscBrakeSwap.htm

http://www.allpar.com/model/aspen.html

69 Valiant.GIF

I read its an F-body, and there is some confusion as to " Proper Geometry " of the spindle. My question now would be if I use the donar a-arms, just the upper, the lower , I havent seen the donar car yet it is supposed to be in the end of this week. I would like to be able to know what I should grab off of it if anything. The guy said its a 75 and from what I found they didnt come out until 76.

Mark, I did a little investigation of my own...and it looks like your right. Although very close to "A"s (F body) for 76, however I can see how confusing due you being told it's a 75. I did read that of course production started in late 75. Could the guy be looking at the manufacture date? Anyways, now I'm not really sure if it can be a donar for ya. Nothing of F was mentioned in the Auto Hobby Digest. I got a 73 donar, took almost everything I could the first time around. Upper arms, spindles and calipers. Don't forget the master cylinder and brake proportioning block.

easiest thing to do is take em off at a junkyard from an abody. most a bodies i see at the junkyards are the post 72 abodies and the disc brakes are not too uncommon on those years. Ive seen them quite a few times. I wouldnt mess with the F-Body discs. Heres also a link to a pretty cheap conversion kit osmeone posted here before http://www.scarebird.com/6928/index.html

READ THIS!!
Bill has done extensive research on this, and also has an article in one of the Mopar rags a few months ago.

[size=+3]73-up A-body versus 73-up B,F,J,M,R-body spindle[/size]

There's a fierce debate going on about the so-called "B-body spindle". This one spindle is actually used in all 73 and up B, F, J, M and R body cars, which is a HUGE source for cheap disk brakes. 5th Ave's and Diplomats are a common site in the junkyards, providing all the disk brake spindles we could ever need.

Go to the link below

http://www.bigblockdart.com/tech/spindles.shtml

I actually put '72 Charger spindles and disk brakes on the front of my '71 Dart Swinger.
The difference in height of the spindle was only about 1/8". With the Charger spindle being taller.

So go grab the brakes from the car.

Thanks Stormin Norman, Good thread and to the point. I learn something new eveyday.

69 Valiant.JPG

I will just grab both upper and lower control arms and switch everything as long as the torsion bars are the same. I will know more after I see it hopefully. Thanks

Mopower71 said:
If I remember corectly, The torsion bars on the Volare/Aspen's are L shaped and run acrossed the front.
I just looked this up, and they do have a transverse mounted torsion bar setup.

You guys got me thinking about the Aspen I use to have.
Never got to drive it but in the driveway.
It was Orange, just like my Demon, and had a snorkle hood scoop and side window louvers. I got the car minus the engine. So what does every good Mopar NuT do???
Drop a 440 , 4spd and 8 3/4 rear in it of course.
It was one of those easy swaps. I regret getting rid of it.

So From the spindle out on the Volare will work, but still need to find a 73-76 A-Body UCA From a Disk braked car. Thanks Mopower Appreciate the time and patience. I think I will hold off and see if I come across one Donor vehicle.
Thanks again

Mark, if the brake assembly and spindles are in good condition, and you can get them for a good price you should grab them. Depending on what you want to do with the car, You could always buy a set of tubular upper control arms. Then you would would have all the parts. I have also seen stock upper control arms for sale from time to time.

Well the car is a /6 Auto 2 Door Fastback Cuda, Been sitting for 15 years or so even though it was in the desert it still has a little rust down low. My plans were to build something that was still streetable but could possibly give my son-in-law fits in his WRX-STI Subaru , I already bought a 440 block and heads but was going to do some of the body-work and other stuff with the 6 in it and would like the brakes on it to be updated ASAP. The thing with my " Builds" is they Snowball pretty quick. Last week I was going to Build the six. I looked at a 74 Dart yesterday but it had 4 wheel Drum brakes, dont know if it had been switched out, or if thats the way it came, is there any way to tell if I could use the UCA on that car or would it have to be Disk braked.

DSCN3004.JPG

The Upper ball joint size is what's diferent. You need the Large upper b/j.
I Think the 74 Dart should have the bigger joints. But check to make sure.
If you are going to run the 440, I recomend changing the torsion bars to heavier ones.
My Dart with the 440 was a handfull with the 6cly bars in it.
I do have a set of Schumaker mounts for the conversion.
Thinking about this, there is a unique part on the front of the 67's. I think its the idler arm.

-
Back