76 aluminum case 4 spd.

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
I am installing a 76 aluminum case a-833 od. and wanted to know if any one has heard of a problem of the front bearing spinning in it's race? Is it common and is it a permanent fix problem?

The problem with the aluminum case transmissions is the counter shaft, not the main shaft. Since the counter shaft spins with the main shaft in high gear, it's a common failure for the counter shaft to gall the aluminum case. The permanent fix is to disassmble the transmission and have the case bushed with bronze bushings for proper counter shaft support. Or you could find a cast iron case OD, but they are pretty rare.

I had my alum. guts all put in a cast iron case except i kept the alum. tailshaft. It now has the 41/2 in front input shaft. My problem is it wont take much hard shifting. By the way its for sale went back to the old 833. I just tried the Alum. tanny because i was going on some of the power tours and iam running 4:10 gears , Then we drove it the the Nats twice so I needed some mpg. got 17mpg on the way to Ohio. Not to bad for a stroked 340 with a 6 pk. Those tranny are great for just cruising.

Mopar Muscle magazine just had a tech article on this subject- 2 small bolts w/jam nuts in the bearing retainer to lock the race of the input bearing in place. Just sayin'...

Thanks for all the imput guys ! I'll take all the advice and have passion performance take care of it.

-
Back