76 caliper rub on bracket

-

Orionsax7

Reaction score
Got all the parts ready to swap out the front brakes on my 65 Valiant. Picked up 73-76 spindles, brackets, and ordered 76 calipers for the bigger piston. I ordered the calipers from NAPA and they appeared to fit on first glance. I was trial fitting all the parts to prepare for this weekend and noticed that the calipers are just a touch too big. They touch the sliding contacts on the brackets but the center of the piston bore casting ALSO touches the center of the bracket as well and there is no clearance. I was under the impression that all 73-76 components should be good to swap. I wonder if it's just the caliper castings that are too big? Anyone run into this?

It very well could be that your new calipers are made from NEW castings, not rebuilt originals.
If true, then no doubt the new calipers are Asian sourced and not quite exact replicas.
There probably is enough material to grind some iron away to provide clearance.

I believe I should be able to clearance the area of contact since it is actually hard to notice that it is in fact touching, it looks like it is contacting all three points at once and maybe not even touching but sliding back and forth a few times does leave marks on the center of the caliper bore exterior. Before I go grinding on new calipers, I wanted to ask to make sure I'm not missing something. I will get some pics as soon as get home today. Was a bit dark last night to get photos.

Here's what I'm dealing with. I tried to snap some pics showing how much daylight there is with the bore and one side touching. Also picture showing the witness marks on the caliper itself. If I were to do any clearancing on this, I'd guess to do it to the bracket itself since I have no way of knowing how thick the casting is on the caliper body?

20201028_164429.jpg
20201028_164442.jpg
20201028_164503.jpg

-
Back