76 cordoba axle into 73 duster ?

-

MikeD

Reaction score
Someone i know has got an 8.25 for sale and i was hoping to pull my 7.25 out and stick it in my 73 Duster.
Mike

It will work, but you’ll have to move the spring perches and the axle will be wider than a standard A-body rear axle.

The F-body 8.25 is about the same width as a 65-67 B-body axle, it works out to be about 59.6” drum to drum. So if you want to max out your tire width in the back you’ll need more backspace than the stock wheels came with, although you can use stock rims as long as the tires aren’t wider than about a 235.

Thanks, from what i've gleaned off the internet, they are a little narrower than a later B body but slightly wider than an A body. I'm using 255/60/15's on a set of draglites at the moment, cutting and rewelding the perches is no problem. I'll measure the back space and see what clearance i have to the wheel arch.

Late B (post 1970) is quite a bit wider than A.

Best fit is 65-67 B.

Thanks, from what i've gleaned off the internet, they are a little narrower than a later B body but slightly wider than an A body. I'm using 255/60/15's on a set of draglites at the moment, cutting and rewelding the perches is no problem. I'll measure the back space and see what clearance i have to the wheel arch.

Duster's with the springs in the stock location have about 12" from the spring to the quarter lip. A 255/60/15 is usually between 10" and 10.2" wide at the section width. That gives you at most 2" of space for tire clearance. By the math your new axle is a little over 1.4" wider, per side, than your current one. So, unless your current wheel/tire combo is practically touching the springs, they won't have enough clearance to the quarter.

That assumes that you're actually trying to fit the wheels inside the quarters, so, it depends on your suspension and ride height. If you're running super stock springs and the back end of the car is higher than stock, you can probably get away with hanging the tires outside of the quarters.

73 duster 2.jpg
Fairly stock height and i dont like the arches above the wheels. There is about 1" to the lip of the wheel arch but the lip on both sides is over 2" deep.

-
Back