76 dart differential

-

agrevbuzz

desert dodge
Reaction score
Don't know if this question has been addressed before or not, but I have a '76 Dart. The differential went out while I was driving about 7 years ago. I finally am ready to get it up and running again. Here is the question. It has a 7.25 differential. Is it better to replace the differential or rebuild it. Also, if I replace it, can I go with and 8.25 with little or no modification to the rest of the undercarriage.

An 8.25 from another A-body will bolt in with no problems. Plus it will last a lot longer then the 7.25.

I went with an 8.25 replacement rear end myself. Just wanted a bit of extra strenth and reliability. Found one in the local U pull type yard for about $100. Do a search for 7.5 to 8.25 rearend on this part of the forum. I posted my findings as I did the swap.

Swap was not hard at all really. There were a few things to make sure of. Get the correct brake hose for the lines you have. Watch the emergency brake cable routing. You may have to swap cables from the old rear to the new. Also be sure to get the spring/shock plate and the U bolts when you get the rear end. The axle tubes are bigger than on the 7.5 rear.

I lucked into the U joint being the same size as what the 7.5 had on it, but you may have to get a conversion joint if yours is different.

Lastly, at least from what I can remember, the swap will need you to have the drive shaft shortened about an inch and a half. Cost me $85 plus tax to have done from what I remember.

Cheers

-
Back