76 duster front inner fender wall issue

-

austins76

Reaction score
Hey guys just trying to figure out what to do with this issue. My front inner fender wall by the upper shock mount is paper thin and rusted through I a couple spots. Now I thought u might be able to welt some thicker steel in but where?

post up some pics, could be other issues hiding ,Lawrence
I have some donor inner fenders that can be cut if you want to patch Lawrence

If you look closely on the right and left side there are rust holes in the inner fender/upper shock brace area somehow I need to get this fixed before I drive her too far:twisted:

Attachments

• 00o0o_6sfBHTLHp0L_600x450.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 171
To do it correctly you'll need some new or used inner fenders and either drill out the spot welds and weld in the inners or cut out the bad and weld in replacement panels.

Riddler

To do it correctly you'll need some new or used inner fenders and either drill out the spot welds and weld in the inners or cut out the bad and weld in replacement panels.

Riddler

^^^^THIS^^^^^
They are available as new sheet metal. Drill out the spot welds and either braze or spot weld the new piece on.

Wow you guys are ambitious, I have never had a rusty inner fender but good to know they can be replaced which brings me to my next question:

Can you remove the passenger side inner fender to install one of a different year? I know they are different 71+ when charcoal cans appeared, So will they interchange?

Idk if that panel is bad mine is bad up top there where you have your clamps at that top flat triangle like piece

Wow you guys are ambitious, I have never had a rusty inner fender but good to know they can be replaced which brings me to my next question:

Can you remove the passenger side inner fender to install one of a different year? I know they are different 71+ when charcoal cans appeared, So will they interchange?

This was just a repair section that sold not a complete apron. I'm not sure what the interchange is, but I'm sure it would work if your not putting the can in.

That triangle section at the back ? Are you talking about the firewall at the back?

Right where your clamps are sitting and there is a sticker or piece of paper. The place where the can of beer would sit after a long day of working on its motor. Idk what that would be called because it in between the outer fender and inner

That little rusty triangle area turned into this. This is the good side ,drivers was worse. It is no easy trick to get that triangle piece in there without destroying the lower cowl pan or apron panels. It is actually firewall and is sandwiched all up in there. It required careful cutting and clean up with carbide burrs etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20150407_133106.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20150409_183452.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 104
Right where your clamps are sitting and there is a sticker or piece of paper. The place where the can of beer would sit after a long day of working on its motor. Idk what that would be called because it in between the outer fender and inner
2 inches from that clamp on the engine side from the firewall side to the radiator support that dark line is the weld seam where I put that panel in. The panel actually came with the next fold in it down toward the frame rail. I trimmed it back and tucked it under because its easier to do the finish work there. If your rust is on the top where the fender tag washer bottle sit a partial panel will get it done, but if its down the side probably need a complete apron.

So I was curious how bad would it be to make my own bottom rear quarter skirts out of 16 or 18 gauge steel

-
Back