76 Duster....Manifolds to Dual Downpipes

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I bought a complete exhaust, manifold back, from a member here......can't remember who, and it really doesn't matter.....

I have a stock manifold set-up on a 318 '76 Duster......He sold me a set of dual conversion downpipes........they look nice....no junk......QUESTION......

Do I need the old style "donut" gaskets for those manifolds?? OR are they supposed to bolt down tight to the flare on the downpipes without a gasket?

Local suppliers say they can't even GET those old donuts.....and I have NO idea......haven't needed any for YEARS..........

WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO ???

You probably don't need a gasket or seal ring at the headpipe-manifold junction. None was used from the factory except in the late '70s-early '80s with the self-contained heat riser valve. Those used a ring seal between the heat riser assembly and the exhaust manifold outlet, but none between the heat riser assembly and the headpipe. If you turn out to need a seal ring, p/n 5013 446AA from the dealer ought to do the job for you.

Well, they do fit tight and to the point all the way around the flange........I found a gasket online, but it's for the flange only, not an actual donut.

NOW, the passenger side pipe runs headlong into the oil filter......SO, I guess I'll have to install a relocation kit in there too..........doesn't look like a right angle adaptor will work either........looks like a relocation.

Any suggestions? You guys done this before on a Duster with manifolds?

pics would help a ton.

I have stock 360 manifolds and home made 2.5" Mandrel Bent headpipes on my 1974 Duster 360.

For the Passenger side manifold...it had a Round-tapered flange...with two bolts......
I went to the local muffler shop, got a BELL put on a 2.5" pipe about 4" long with the floating flange included for about $20.00.

For the driver side...it had a flat, 2 bolt evenly spaced flange with a 2.25 Hole....The same exhaust shop had a flat flange that matched the exhaust gasket for my application at Advanced Auto parts....so I finished the pipes up and they are tucked up nice.

I am going to finish the system much like you,. but a little different..T306 Stainless 2.5", 2.5" Magnaflow DynoMax's , X-pipe,...and exiting the exhaust out in front of the rear wheels with custom stainless Tips.

Here are a couple of pics of My headpipes..
003-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

StainlessExhaustPipe001.jpg

:cheers:

Get a 90 degree oil filter adapter for the passenger side, they pop up for sale quite a bit here in the mechanical section for around $25

-
Back