76 plymouth duster ignition troubles

-

dodgeman568

Reaction score
i have a 76 plymouth 360 duster with electronic ignition that when i turn the key it wont start till i release it from the crank position. it acts like its not getting power while cranking but i have replaced everything in the column. any ideas??

i looked at the other post and made sure my ecu is grounded but still does the same thing. it wont fire while cranking untill i pull the key back.

yes the ignition switch is new but havnt replaced the ballast. my ecu is only 6mo old i think. i did drop a distributor in that i had laying on the shelf. would that have anything to do with it?

yes the ignition switch is new but havnt replaced the ballast. my ecu is only 6mo old i think. i did drop a distributor in that i had laying on the shelf. would that have anything to do with it?

the first thing i have always done is to switch the ballast regardless. its cheap and easy. you need to check your reluctor gap in the other distributor (.00eight with a non magnetic feeler gauge). check for spark coming out of the coil to make sure you are getting it there so you can figure out if its a distributor problem or lack of spark to the coil

IF you get it to run after releasing the crank position on the key, your "start" hot circuit to the coil / ballast is the issue.

IN other words, it will fire up after you release from start position? The start circuit which boosts voltage, bypasses the ballast for cranking, is the issue.

Get a wiring diagram for that year car, trace the start circuit, test it from beginning to end and find out where it is broken, loose, corroded, or disconnected.

I dunno specifics (many here do) but I believe the start (boost) circuit for the coil routes directly from the ignition key switch thru the firewall. I dont believe it is dependent on the starter relay.

-
Back