76 Scamp A/C

-
Well, I did the drive up last week and they said they could take care of me. I went back on this past Thursday to pick it up and I must say that it is the nicest looking thing on the car. $155.15 after everything was said and done. I got it working today, but two other problems have come up; only one with the a/c though. The clutch coil has burned out. I was driving with nice, cold air and it started getting warm, pulled over and it wasn't running. I check pressure and it had enough to run. I checked and I'm getting power up to the clutch, but there's no continuity through the coil. Now the question would be, would the coil from a 65 Fury with a two groove pulley fit my 76 with a single groove pulley? I don't want to buy the whole assembly new because that alone is more than what I have into the system, and if I can make this work, I will. The other issue, which is unrelated, is last week when I drove the car up it ran perfect the whole way holding 80MPH on the 120 mile round trip. This week, it started overheating about halfway there running at the same speed and it wasn't any hotter out. Engine had a new head gasket back in 13 and I was told the cooling system was flushed. I still have the original radiator and it has a six blade direct drive fan. I took the 195 thermostat out and put in a 160 just so I can get around for a couple days until I have a chance to check out everything. But that brings up a different question: is 195 right for a slant six? To me it seems to hot for a carburetor, but would be good for a newer, fuel injected engine.

Hi,

As I recall the 6's and V8's had different thickness clutch coils so I don't think the V8 double pulley coil will fit. I would pull the clutch off and measure the height and diameter of the coil. Maybe someone can help you out with a coil with those measurements. Those coils are getting hard to find.

On the engine temperature, If yours is set up as a true 76, a 195 F degree thermostat would not surprise me as they were starting to push up operating temperatures for emission control.

Hi,

As I recall the 6's and V8's had different thickness clutch coils so I don't think the V8 double pulley coil will fit. I would pull the clutch off and measure the height and diameter of the coil. Maybe someone can help you out with a coil with those measurements. Those coils are getting hard to find.

On the engine temperature, If yours is set up as a true 76, a 195 F degree thermostat would not surprise me as they were starting to push up operating temperatures for emission control.

That's what I was worried about with the size. My big problem is I have to remove the compressor to get the clutch off, but I have to remove the clutch to remove the compressor. So, Monday when the junkyard opens back up, I'll just go in the morning and take the front end of the car apart. For temperature, I never would've thought they would use a 195 that early. It is a numbers matching 76, but it's had a lot of people under the hood over the years. When the old lady I bought it from first got it, it didn't have a thermostat in it because the kid she bought it from tried to race it and it kept overheating on him because of how he was running it. 12 years later it blew the head gasket. Today I was given a bag with every receipt from when she bought the car, and not much has happened to it since she bought it other than maintenance. I did find out that it had the evap box replaced back in 09 due to the last one somehow caught fire.

-
Back