76 Scamp header issues

-

daginsu

Noob Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted anything on here, mainly because I'm close to burning my car down in a completely accidental fire.

To recap:
  • Bought the car a few years ago from the original owner
  • Swapped in a lunati cam, 4bbl, intake etc
  • Ate a lobe off said cam due to improper breaking in procedures (took too long to start)
  • Flushed the engine out as good as possible, installed heavy duty magnets, installed new Summit cam/lifters and crossed fingers
  • Got the car running long enough to decide to go ahead and install the headers
  • Have been beating my head against the wall for the last 9 months or so and have not finished header installation
So yeah, I did get the Summit headers in with a bit of help from some friends and thought I had enough clearance, but as I was backing it out of the garage I noticed that they were rubbing on the steering coupler. After a few weeks of venting, I decided to take the driver side header back off and try to beat on it some more. Unfortunately for me, it will not come off...it doesn't even look close. No idea what has changed between now and then, but for whatever reason it's stuck.

As of a few days ago I was about 90% sure that I was going to go ahead and cut the header out so I could remove it in pieces and then bite the bullet and get TTIs. And then I read about the motor mount shims that TTI recommends on their site and thought that may be an option. After staring at my motor mounts and the shims for a few days trying to figure out how those shims were going to work on my mounts...I discovered the difference between biscuit mounts and spool mounts. The shims were for biscuit mounts and I, of course, have spool mounts. One more door closed in my face I guess.

Which at last brings me to my question: is there a way to shim the spool style mounts? I know you can put washers on the mounts themselves to move the engine forward/backward, but I'm referring to left and right here.

I also did the measurements that TTI recommends doing for engine placement and while I can't vouch 100% for the accuracy of my measurements because it's semi-impossible to do with everything in the car...I'm pretty sure they are not exactly what they are supposed to be. My crankshaft to k-frame is about 5-1/2 vs the 5-1/4 spec, while the difference in the crankshaft to frame rail is about 2-1/8 vs the 2-1/2 spec. Is that too far out to even consider spending the dough on the TTIs?

Are the motor mounts in good shape,or oil soaked? Some pictures of the problem,would go a long way here. Pulled my steering column to install/uninstall on Hooker Comps and Flowtechs......

Ah the joys of headers, lol. I used Summit headers on my car and the steering coupler was an issue for me too. I filed the corners of the coupler ever so slightly and had to put a little dent in the tube next to it.

I used a bar with a rounded end and tapped away at it until it cleared. It is a chore but with some patience it can be done.

It might be the rubber in the mount is shot which is letting the engine sit slightly lower than it should.

Yeah, sorry...I have replaced the driver's side mount already with a polyurethane replacement. I haven't got around to doing the passenger side yet because I realized that the motor mount didn't give me any extra clearance. The header has been dented to clear the coupler and the steering box...but it appears it is still touching in both places. It also looks like I need to make some clearance near the ring on the steering shaft that the shift linkage attaches to (whatever that is called).

Assuming there isn't a way to shim the engine to the right, and I don't know how there could be, I would be willing to beat on it a little more I guess. I just need to get a bigger hammer and a tool to make the dents safely. I would not be willing to drop the steering column to finish the header installation. At that point, I would just take my chances with the TTIs and if that didn't work, I would look for some gasoline and a lighter. My patience with this particular project has damn near run out :)

Post some pictures, we can help negate the time and effort ,man.

-
Back