76 valiant column removal

-

mopar440_82

MONC baby!!!
Reaction score
Howdy! Am needing to do some work under the dash: replacing the wiper grommets/post gaskets, defrost vents, and dash cap... I've removed the trim plate under column, and the two bolts holding column to dash, but it will not drop... i simply want to remove cluster to gain access to the above parts, but am not seeing what is still holding column up... my fiance is doing the work, as I have a broken femur and other injuries from crashing my quad,thus the inability to bend and twist to help her... any help would be greatly appreciated!!! It is actually her car, and she loves working on it... '76 valiant 2dr ht... column-shifted automatic... thanks!

Shove down on the steering cloumn, you can also loosen the three bolt on the bottom of the column, it will sit on the seat if you do that.
If I was changing as much stuff as you are I would remove the windsheild and pull the entire dash out.

Thanks, just afraid I'm going to break something, shouldn't have to reef on it...right? Just need to get to the defrost vent on that side to replace it, and inspect the wiring to the gauges...just trying to remove the instrument cluster..

The flex hose is likely shot on the defrost vent. They all are for the most part.

If you loosen the three column base support plate bolts as suggested above, you will have plenty of room to remove the cluster. Just know that the round gauge plug is a little stiff and requires a little elbow grease and patience, once you pull the speedo cable.

Yeah, I got to the passenger side through the glove box.. hose is pretty crusty..thanks! I will attempt again tomorrow..need to get it done by next Saturday.. I WILL drive it on my birthday!! ~ Teresa :)

-
Back