77’ 440 rebuild

-
What is your goal for the car ? It's much easier to help you when you have an idea, obviously you want a 440 in a dart so you want to have some fun.
I’d like it to run on pump gas so I can take my wife out on town but I’d also like to blow past my buddies and their dumb rice rockets. Something with some kick if that makes sense

I would use a modern version of the six pack piston.....or the six pack pistons themselves. A lot of people will tell you they're heavy and they are in comparison, but at your power level, they'll be a good addition. Any piston that can get zero deck height is what you want. The heads will be fine, but if then need guide and seat work and new valves, you may want to look at aftermarket aluminum heads as the price to fix iron heads gets expensive quick.
Okay that makes a lot of sense thank you kindly

2.062 compression height is for 0.000 deck in a 440. As RRR mentioned (Six pack piston) size I believe is 2.050 and that's a great choice since your decks should be decked squared to the height of the piston that is optimal

Okay that makes a lot of sense thank you kindly
Just remember even if you get NEW heads, they are NOT a bolt on right out of the box. You will need to take them to a competent machine shop and make SURE everything checks out. Valve job, valve stem to guide clearance.....everything. That's just the way it is, so remember to include that in the budget.

2.062 compression height is for 0.000 deck in a 440. As RRR mentioned (Six pack piston) size I believe is 2.050 and that's a great choice since your decks should be decked squared to the height of the piston that is optimal
Okay I’m following you thanks
Just remember even if you get NEW heads, they are NOT a bolt on right out of the box. You will need to take them to a competent machine shop and make SURE everything checks out. Valve job, valve stem to guide clearance.....everything. That's just the way it is, so remember to include that in the budget.
okay that’s very good to know thank you I had no idea

I’d like it to run on pump gas so I can take my wife out on town but I’d also like to blow past my buddies and their dumb rice rockets. Something with some kick if that makes sense
Yeah that makes sense, 9.5-9.75 compression with iron heads is good for pump gas, get a decent gear and a decent converter put a cam that's in the mid 230s duration at .050, if you want a real tame tire fryer put in the tiny cam RRR mentioned, it might be a good sleeper but will run out of steam around 5000 rpm but for street only that's great 3.55 gear will probably be best unless you like a lot of freeway driving

So as of right now I’m looking at getting the quick fuel 750dp, 6 pack pistons, the magnum muscle 222/226 hydraulic flat cam, and getting my 452 heads checked by a machinist and if it needs all sort of repairs opt for the aluminum after market and also get those machined

Yeah that makes sense, 9.5-9.75 compression with iron heads is good for pump gas, get a decent gear and a decent converter put a cam that's in the mid 230s duration at .050, if you want a real tame tire fryer put in the tiny cam RRR mentioned, it might be a good sleeper but will run out of steam around 5000 rpm but for street only that's great 3.55 gear will probably be best unless you like a lot of freeway driving
Okay awesome that all sounds great and makes air of sense. I have no experience in gearing, so once I get the motor done that’ll probably be the next step right?

Okay awesome that all sounds great and makes air of sense. I have no experience in gearing, so once I get the motor done that’ll probably be the next step right?
You'll want to make sure you're transmission is in good shape too, don't go doing big huge burn outs in 1st gear for a long time. When you get to that part of the build there's lots of info on here, same with gearing...it's all fairly simple it just costs money.
This is the 1st time I've seen you on fabo, so welcome!

You'll want to make sure you're transmission is in good shape too, don't go doing big huge burn outs in 1st gear for a long time. When you get to that part of the build there's lots of info on here, same with gearing...it's all fairly simple it just costs money.
This is the 1st time I've seen you on fabo, so welcome!
Thank you I just started on here! I really appreciate all the help and advice. Later down the line I’d like to swap in a manual trans, the auto just doesn’t do it for me

So as of right now I’m looking at getting the quick fuel 750dp, 6 pack pistons, the magnum muscle 222/226 hydraulic flat cam, and getting my 452 heads checked by a machinist and if it needs all sort of repairs opt for the aluminum after market and also get those machined
Big block Chrysler heads are a very simple rebuild, but I think at the shop I machine at you'd be out the door a couple hundred under a much better performing 440 source stealth head that's if the valves are in good shape. But it's up to you

Thank you I just started on here! I really appreciate all the help and advice. Later down the line I’d like to swap in a manual trans, the auto just doesn’t do it for me
Yeah a manual would be a lot of fun for sure.
Well take care and merry Christmas!

I disagree. That's Comp's version of the Road Runner cam. Did the 375HP 440 and 440 six pack run outta steam at 5000? uhhh...no. Plus that cam has a 110 LSA instead of the 115 the Road Runner cam has. PLUS it's ground on REAL Mopar lobes to take advantage of the .903 lifter diameter. I think it represents the best of both worlds. Smoothness to cruise his wife around in and the torque to suck his eyes out on the street. I've preached enough. Make your choices and pay your money. lol

I disagree. That's Comp's version of the Road Runner cam. Did the 375HP 440 and 440 six pack run outta steam at 5000? uhhh...no. Plus that cam has a 110 LSA instead of the 115 the Road Runner cam has. PLUS it's ground on REAL Mopar lobes to take advantage of the .903 lifter diameter. I think it represents the best of both worlds. Smoothness to cruise his wife around in and the torque to suck his eyes out on the street. I've preached enough. Make your choices and pay your money. lol
Thank you sir, I like the way that sounds and I definitely appreciate all the help and insight

Lol you go ahead and disagree. At 5000 rpm in a 440 that tiny cam is past peak power. On a 110 lsa it is peaking even faster than the factory cam.
That's what I meant. (Running out of steam) That doesn't mean it can't rev over 5000, that means it's making less and less of the measly 375, lol .
In a 383 that's a good cam and makes

Let me give you an example of a much larger 470 ci stroker with 40 more degrees of duration at .050 that's 260 and .200 more lift with standard port heads. Peak power was 5700 rpm.
This is why the op should choose a larger than the tiny cam RRR mentioned.

Lol you go ahead and disagree. At 5000 rpm in a 440 that tiny cam is past peak power. On a 110 lsa it is peaking even faster than the factory cam.
That's what I meant. (Running out of steam) That doesn't mean it can't rev over 5000, that means it's making less and less of the measly 375, lol .
In a 383 that's a good cam and makes
Who's arguing it's not a small cam? My argument is it'll do exactly what he's looking for.

Then where's the argument? lol Merry Christmas!
That you disagreed to a fact. But it's not an argument it's just a technical disagreement lol.
Merry Christmas back to you, God bless!

yeah that ignition will work, if your going to run a 4150 style carb you can never have enough fuel pump but in the case of a fairly tame 440 for going to dairy queen with your wife I'm sure you could get away with a performance fuel pump that runs off the cam.
It's much easier than redoing the fuel system to run a electric fuel pump.

-
Back