77 318 for a 68 barracuda? help needed

-

roylira

Reaction score
i found a 77 dodge power wagon 318 on craigslist for sale and i was wondering if it would go in my 68 barracuda???????

Yes, it will fit.

You will have to change the oil pan and oil pickup tube as the "hump" is in a different location for cars than it is trucks. Use your old pan and pickup on the new engine.

Don't know why not, a 318 is a 318, unless of course it was marine type. You will need the right oil pan and motor mounts.

I would also recommend taking the timing chain, water pump, vibration damper, and timing marks from the old engine to the new one.

The outlet for the water pump and the timing marks changed locations (90°) from 69 to 70. You will be better off using the old vibration damper and marking TDC with the old timing marks. Then use the original 68 timing chain cover, timing marks, and water pump. This way you won't have to change the radiator because of the outlet locations.

I would also recommend replacing the timing chain with a double roller style like this one while you have the engine apart. It will help with economy and reliability.

I've been running this chain for years and it holds up well over 200 k miles.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/edelbrock4.html

-
Back