77 440 connecting rods strength

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 77 440 with a forged 6 pack crank and hyper pistons (KB237's). Am I safe just getting the stock 77 rods resized or should I buy new? If I need new please point me in the right direction.

Whats your intent of the motor? What do you plan to do with it? Is this a driver or Racer? How much HP are you looking to achieve?

I'm rebuilding a 77 440 with a forged 6 pack crank and hyper pistons (KB237's). Am I safe just getting the stock 77 rods resized or should I buy new? If I need new please point me in the right direction.
I bought new rods from 440 source. They have 7/16 bolts & reasonable price. I have a forged crank & KB hyper pistons also. I dont remember the KB number but they had a dome. I had the machine shop cut the domes off because i bought 75cc Indy heads & i didnt want the compression to high. I dont want to run racing fuel in a street car. Steve

........U can get a new set of rods for less than 2 bills on ebay..........why use 40 year old rods that u will put about the same $ as a new set...................kim.....................

........U can get a new set of rods for less than 2 bills on ebay..........why use 40 year old rods that u will put about the same $ as a new set...................kim.....................

I have to agree. I have a set of 440 Ly rods sitting in my shop for this reason,plus they wont hold up to what my heads will make hp wise.

Resized with arp bolts is just fine. My 77 440 would repeatedly see 6 grand with the stock bolts and cast crank. Never missed a beat.:toothy10:

Kimmer where do you see sets of under $200 on ebay??? Ive been looking for along time and never seen anything close to that price.

Who is selling new rods for $200? New is always better than used.If I could buy new for 2 bills thats the way I would go.That being said a rods life is determined by the cycles of operation.Hi-po use or high mileage will have more stress on the rod and its cycle life.The problem is noone actually knows the cycle life of said connecting rod.That being said I would think a low mileage motor home type rod with low mileage would be a good candidate for use.I did see on ebay PAW is selling 440 rods for $148 with new hi strength bolts and full machining.I have seen some articles in magazines stating the builders used these rods.I have no idea what it costs to resize,check for straightness,balance,shotpeen,and add new hi strengthy bolts costs but the PAW rods seem like a good value.Thats my opinion anyhow.

Who is selling new rods for $200? New is always better than used.If I could buy new for 2 bills thats the way I would go.That being said a rods life is determined by the cycles of operation.Hi-po use or high mileage will have more stress on the rod and its cycle life.The problem is noone actually knows the cycle life of said connecting rod.That being said I would think a low mileage motor home type rod with low mileage would be a good candidate for use.I did see on ebay PAW is selling 440 rods for $148 with new hi strength bolts and full machining.I have seen some articles in magazines stating the builders used these rods.I have no idea what it costs to resize,check for straightness,balance,shotpeen,and add new hi strengthy bolts costs but the PAW rods seem like a good value.Thats my opinion anyhow.

Yes they are a good value. I believe they are shot peened as well.

-
Back