'77 Toyota Celica

-

69charger

Reaction score
Anybody know anything about these cars? can someone give me some insight as to how dependable they are? I'm trying to find out for my girlfriend because she found one and wants to buy it. and I told her i'd look into it and try and find some info on it

the one she's looking at has a 20R engine and comes with dual Weber DCOE 40 carbs but the guy also has the originals too.

01020001160701030920080628c82daa3ca24ca6f35c008c00.jpg

01150101160601040020080628c74ef7bdbc41e5926300b591.jpg

I had a 76 Toyota Celica with the 20R engine and a 5 speed. I drove that car like I stole it, and it never (NEVER) ever gave me any fits at all. I made that car scratch second almost chance I could. It even impressed me enough that I convinced my dad to go for a ride with me so I could show him...BTW, I was 17 at the time... ;-)

I think the 20R/ 22R engines were some of the best engines that Toyota ever made. Secondarily, you can get parts for them almost anywhere. They used a similar drive train in many of the late 70's and early 80's vehicles (cars, trucks and vans).

The way I gauge a used car and its perceived value to me has to do with my ability to get parts for it. In this case, you should not have any problems finding parts.

Having said all of this, you are the only one that can discern if the car is a lemon or not. Because the previous owner made the modifications you mentioned, he is probably an enthusiast...and it is probably in fairly descent shape.

As always, YMMV.

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule!

Badgie Hager had one for 3 years and that boy could break an anvil with a banana peel. Celicas from the '70s were almost as tough as a slant powered(?) A body.

The only thing i can reccomend is if the 20r is similar to the 22r DO NOT LET IT GET HOT AT ALL if it even starts warming up over where it normally runs ( i know she will have to find out where normal is as she drives it a little but at first just assume right in the middle of the temp gauge is normal ) anyway if it gets up over normal PULL IT OVER They are known for blowing head gaskets easily if given the chance. The only other thing i know about is also from 22r experience but the timing chain guides are made out of plastic and are prone to breaking and falling down into the oil pan as they get older and wear. I haven't done any 20r's yet but i know they share a lot of the same stuff with the 22r so I would assume it may have the same problems. Hope it's a good car for your girlfriend. Justin

I knew a guy who drove an earlier one in high school. The trunk was just big enough for his Marshal head to fit in....

Like they said, If it runs good and has been taken care of then it would be a great car. Those old datsun's and toyota's were put together very well and almost indestructable. That is as long as the price is good.

well the asking price on the car is $3500 does that seem reasonable assuming the car runs well? I'm not familiar at all with these cars so I wouldnt know

IMHO. All three of my adult kids in succession couldn't kill grandpa's Camry. Had 294k on it when we got rid of it. routine maintenance and a timing belt are the only expense it ever needed.

had a 78 GT hatchback with the 5spd. Great little car, rear wheel drive, easy to work on. Even with the original equipment. Great fuel mileage. Some parts are still available only from the dealer, but that's mostly electronics, that was back in the mid 90's though. That car could cruise along at 75 and still move when needed. $3,500 sounds kinda high but I haven't seen it myself. When we got rid of it the car had over a million miles. It was used as a commuter for years at an average of 300 miles a day.

asked a family member who had one ...check everywhere for rot, early celicas didn't like damp climate.

-
Back