8 1/4" rear discs off Jeep

-

6T9 V-100

Reaction score
Just wondered if anybody has ever taken the rear disc set up off a '94-up Grand Cherokee's 8 1/4" and melded it to an 8 3/4"? Looks plausible, but I would rather ask and find out either way since I don't think I am the first guy to ponder this concept.

Nope your definitely not the only one... me too. Unfortunately I don't have any info for you as I was searching this forum for tips myself.

I think I'll go to the U-Pull-It yard and do some investigation.

Joe

Tried the swap last night. Not going to be so easy! I drilled out the bottom bolt hole in the caliper adapter which was easy. ( 8-1/4 uses 4 bolt pattern, 8-3/4 uses all 5) .
The problem I ran into was the caliper adapter is at least 3/8" thick and goes in behind the axle retainer which moves the bearing/axle assy out by that much, not leaving much bearing in the actual axle housing . Also, you have to enlarge the caliper adapter (same piece) where the bearing goes though because the 8-3/4 uses a slightly bigger bearing. I haven't given up, but I think a custom caliper adapter mount will have to be used and bolted or welded to the housing.

I give up. I am going to back peddle and put the jeep front rotors on it with some gm calipers so the caliper mount bracket is easy to make. The mount for the rear disks is too thick and places over half the axle bearing outside the housing tube. Milling the bracket thinner will leave it paper thin in spots that I don't feel would be safe. Oh well, no e-brake for me. And if this isn't easy, I will be putting drums back on the car. It really isn't worth the trouble for rear disks. Humbly, I have changed my opinion on rear disks!

Rear discs are great as long as they are on the correct axle. Luckily (to some) I have an 8.25 axle, and I already have the Jeep parts in the garage. I had some people ask about putting them on an 8.75, but I really didn't see how that was possible.

Well, maybe I have found another answer. I traded the rear rotors for new front ones and they fit fine on the 8-3/4. I will try some gm calipers or ford calipers that only use 2 bolts or pins to attach to the mount. I won't have an e-brake unless I get some rear calipers, but we'll see if this works out.

-
Back