8 1/4 rear end gear swap

-

mopar56

Reaction score
so my son just acquired a 8 1/4 rear to put in his 74 Duster from a member here, we are going to do a disc brake conversion on it using 1995 Grand Cherokee rear disc parts using the info from this site from an earlier post, my question is could we also use the limited slip carrier and pinion from the same donor Jeep?, we know the caliper brackets and rotors will bolt right on but if the carrier would fit we could convert the 2:71 ratio open to a limited slip, just not sure if the sure grip used in the Dodge 8 1/4 is the same as the carrier in the Jeep is it sure grip or Trac Loc?, anyone done this before?, the rear we are using was from a 77 Aspen

a little more research suggest that 97 and prior 8 1/4 axles are 27 spline and after that became 29 I am not 100% sure of the year of the donor I will find out, anyone?

1996 and newer jeep 8-1/4 axles are 29spline. 95 and older 27 spline. Some 96 got 27 but all I have seen in 96s is 29 spline. If your donor rear is 27 spline then yes it's a bolt in for limited slip. Or you can buy 29 spline axles from doctor diff if it's a later model limited slip. I can't remember how much my 29 spline axles shafts cost $2-300

thanks, that's the info I am looking for, I have a very good differential book by Larry Sheppard but it dose not have a part interchange, this info can only be gathered by someone who has done it, I assume you have?

I wasn't sure if it was just the disc brake hardware that swapped from the jeep as I didn't know for sure that the rear in the Jeeps were actually an 8 1/4 or a Dana

-
Back