8 1/4 Rear Installed, now about that Carrier...

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
I have installed a '76 8 1/4 from an Aspen Wagon into my '85 M Body. Fit was perfect. It came with a 2.71 gears and ran it around for a coule of hundred of miles. On E-Bat, I bought a Dana-Spicer Posi(Is what they called it) unit pt# 75101x. It fits ALL 8 1/4" with a 27 spline axles. I bold the "all" since that is waht the ad said. Vendor is GearsAreUs. I also bought a set of 3.55 gears with the carrier.

Anyhow, the pinion when in smoothly as did the ring onto the carrier. However, when I try to install the carrier into the housing, the pressed on bearings the I pressed on myslelf, are too large in diameter to fit into the Bearing Caps. The rebuild lit from Motive Gears, pt# R8.25 RMK says it fits all 8.25" Chryslers. kit came with carrier bearings, Pinion bearings and seals. Pinion bearing fit nice along with the seals. It is just that Damn Carrier bearings being too large.

I try to put the race inside the Cap and it looks like the race is about 1/8" to large in diameter.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Is it possible that the carrier bearings for the 29 spline 8.25 are larger than the 27 Spline 8.25.?

Or should I just give up and go back to smokin'' crack?

I'd take a hike over to NAPA's web site and do some research on carrier bearings for 8 1/4 axles, maybe they sent you a set for the later style 8 1/4 used in dakotas ??? Did you save your old bearings ? Are they on the old carrier ? Maybe you can compare them that way. As you may also know there are identification numbers on all bearings so all you need to do is find which were originally on your open carrier and compare. I am not an expert on these things, so check carefully.

Thanks 66 Dart.... I was too impatient and ended up throwing all the original carrier and bearings in the trash, assuming that what I ordered was correct. Silly me.. anyways, I did go to a power train expert with new carrier in hand and sure enough, there are different bearing sizes and I managed to get the correct ones. Also, the "expert" told me that what I had was not an Auburn Posi, but a True Trac. Apparently a much better unit. Not bad for only paying $200.00... eh?

Or should I just give up and go back to smokin'' crack?[/QUOTE]

NO NO pots much better--atleast untill you get old and your throat hurts afterwards, don't ask me how I know O:)

I ran into this same problem when having my 8.25 set-up. There are two different carrier bearings sizes depending on the housing. I took my old bearings in and had them matched, however since you threw yours away, it may take a few trips to the parts store. You might try going to a business that specializes in drivetrain parts.

-
Back