8 1/4 rears

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I have a question about the 8 1/4 rears up to 1994. Are the Dakota and other jeep rears the same size and how close to 67 a body spec's are they? Did any of them have disc brakes and would the sway bars bolt up to the earlier rears?

Robbie my 93 Dakota 8-1/4 was 63-1/2" drum to drum. An A-body rear is only about 57" IIRC. Sorry don't know any of your other questions.

not sure on the lengths on either of the rears, but remember the dakots have the goofy 6 lug bolt pattern which would mean redrilled/fabricated axles to fit 5 lug wheels. plus the spline count on the later 8 1/4 is different, cant remember what year is the cutoff. on the disc brakes though, i have a solution... search for a post on cherokee disc brakes on an 8 1/4. i had a post awhile ago showing how the discs off of a 98 grand cherokee work awesome with an 8 1/4 with some minor fabrication. good luck

There was quite a discussion about alternate rears on slantsix.org, someone posted that the jeep rears were quite expensive to replace the bearings. It turned me off jeep rear ends. Have you considered the ford 8.8 out of an explorer?

I have a great 8 3/4 in the car. Just wondering about the possibility of transferring discs to the 8 3/4 from the 8 1/4. What can be re-used from them?

-
Back