[WANTED] 8 1/4 suregrip and gears

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a set of new in the box Mopar Performance 3.55 gears and a new Mopar performance bearing install kit. I do have a 8 1/4 sure grip but it is for the 2.45 gear ratio. You would need a ring gear spacer to use it with the 2.71 or lower gears.

I have a good set of 3.73's if needed. I will be bringing them to Carlisle Friday.

I have a used set of 3.55 gears. $90 shipped, but it would be a couple of weeks to get to them, as they are in storage still in rear end. No sure grip though.

Darc;
Not sure how much you are into wrecking yards, but the 8.25 from a pre '91 Dakota will fit your rear end.
Did it myself for my '75 Dart.
Donor was '87 Dakota 2 wheel drive with 8.25, SG, 3.55's.
Direct bolt in. $100 plus bearings.
If you go this route, some notes for you.
Use the differential bearings from your carrier. Same with the Slack Adjusters. The ones from the Dakota do not fit. Be careful, they look close enough to fit but the don't.
Pinion bearings are the same.
Don't forget the new crush sleeve.
I was in it under $190 for the whole mess including the new gear oil, bearings, donor parts, seals, and gasket!
You can check with 69MOPE, I think there are some others that interchange, but this is the one he pointed out for me.
Cheapest Gear swap I have ever done.

Darc;
Not sure how much you are into wrecking yards, but the 8.25 from a pre '91 Dakota will fit your rear end.
Did it myself for my '75 Dart.
Donor was '87 Dakota 2 wheel drive with 8.25, SG, 3.55's.
Direct bolt in. $100 plus bearings.
If you go this route, some notes for you.
Use the differential bearings from your carrier. Same with the Slack Adjusters. The ones from the Dakota do not fit. Be careful, they look close enough to fit but the don't.
Pinion bearings are the same.
Don't forget the new crush sleeve.
I was in it under $190 for the whole mess including the new gear oil, bearings, donor parts, seals, and gasket!
You can check with 69MOPE, I think there are some others that interchange, but this is the one he pointed out for me.
Cheapest Gear swap I have ever done.
Thanks, that is some good information for us to remember.

We have a couple local ones but they tend to crush anything 10 years or older. I'll start digging around. Guess I'll need to measure my wheel base and make sure it's the same. Thanks for the great info guys!

The ring and pinion and the suregrip are the same, not the axel, but you can pull the disk brakes off and use them. Make sure it is a dana 35 (same cover as an 8 1/4.)

We have a couple local ones but they tend to crush anything 10 years or older. I'll start digging around. Guess I'll need to measure my wheel base and make sure it's the same. Thanks for the great info guys!

As long as you have an 8.25, the carrier/ring/pinion will bolt right in with your bearings and slack adjusters.
The hardest part is to set the pinion depth and preload.
1. Find the donor.
2. Pull the Carrier with Ring attached.
3. Pull the Pinion with yoke.
4. Buy new carrier bearings and install on donor Carrier.
5. Install Pinion in your axle housing paying attention to preload and pinion depth.
6. Install Carrier in your axle housing and set backlash IAW service manual.

Obviously, this is the simple version. I did not include pinion bearings, wheel seals, axle seals, axle bearings and the misc things that would be good to do since you have it open.

I started out with an 8.25" NON SG with 2.45 gear ratio and ended up with a SG at 3.55.
What a world of difference!

Got my set with a limited slip diff off Ebay. They were from a Dakota.

Closest one out of an 87 I can find is an hour and a half away and they want $250 plus another $50 for a core if I don't bring mine in.

I will check on the dana and see what I can find. Broaden the search if you will. I watched an episode of Hot Rod Garage where they built a rear end and it looked like rocket science... or at the least I don't have the tools to measure the depths I need to hit. They didnt show the preload portion so I'll need to google-fu that.

After a little more investigation, the local yard has a few but the gentleman on the phone didnt know how to tell if they were suregrip....now I am the lowest form of mechanic...but even I know the easy test on that -.-

If you find one you cant lift to check the wheel spin, Look at the pic below and notice the springs in the center of the carrier. This is an Auburn Style SG.
It is the one I pulled from the Dakota and is now in my '75 More door.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back