8 1/4 suregrip question

-

budgetcummins

Reaction score
Ok so I am trying to make it to the dragstrip this weekend and i have a 74 dart with 8 1/4 rear and I have a 01 durango 8 1/4 suregrip rear my guestion is can I use the suregrip gears in my 8 1/4 in the dart i know that 8 3/4 is the best way to go and i have one that is shortened, trused, moser axles, disc brake, and 489 suregrip . The problem with putting that in is time its setup for spring relo, and the backspacing on wheels is totally different. Am i p.ssin in the wind or is there a way to use durango gears.

Ok so I am trying to make it to the dragstrip this weekend and i have a 74 dart with 8 1/4 rear and I have a 01 durango 8 1/4 posi rear my guestion is can I use the posi gears in my 8 1/4 in the dart i know that 8 3/4 is the best way to go and i have one that is shortened, trused, moser axles, disc brake, and 489 posi. The problem with putting that in is time its setup for spring relo, and the backspacing on wheels is totally different. Am i p.ssin in the wind or is there a way to use durango gears.

I think you don't want to go there because you can't just swap over the gear chunk (carrier).
You would have to take the pinion gear out and swap it over to the other case with it's matching ring gear.

You could get away with that if doing it with an 8 3/4 because the pinion and ring gear comes out of the housing as one unit.
8.25's don't.

Chrysler changed the spline count on the 8 1/4 in 1996. The older spline count is 27, the new spline count is 29. Your older axles will NOT fit the 01 Durango carrier.

-
Back