8 1/4 to 8 3/4 drive shaft length?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
Will my 8 1/4 drive shaft be the right length when i put my 8 3/4 rear end in? ive gotten mixed answers so far. any help would be appreciated.

according to this (http://www.mymopar.com/axledims.htm) you'd have to have your drive shaft shortened about 3/4. I'm not sure I trust that chart though. Measure how far your drive shaft goes into the tailshaft with the 8 1/4 then again with the the 8 3/4 and if needed take it to a driveshaft shop and have it shortened. you may end up being okay as is.

my car had an 8 1/4 fro mthe factory i swear it had almost 2" of play in the driveshaft. when i put the 8 3/4 in it was between 3/4 and 1". i didnt cut the driveshaft and didnt have any issues.

I went from the 7 1/4 in my 65 Valiant to a 8 3/4 and used the same drive shaft. Didn't cut a thing.

Just put an 8.75 in my 67 and the 8.25 driveshaft was a tight fit, but I think it will work. Don't know what it came out of, but best guess so far is a Volare or Aspen. The good news it that contrary to what I would have thought the driveshaft pulls out as the suspension compresses, so the tight fit is better at ride height and not full droop.

-
Back