8 1/4 vs. 8 3/4

-
Yes, I go to a lot of swap meets, car shows but the track rarely. I go to Mopar day at Woodburn and that's about it for the track. I lived in Milwaukie for many years when I first moved up here.

The local shows run all summer long and normally kick off in April. Here is a link to the area events http://www.pdxcarculture.com/Events.aspx. Check back often as the list gets updated regularly especially this time of the year...

We have a local a-body group for support, parts, and meeting up and hanging out. It is a roster of about 20 or so folks. We meet up at Stark Street Pizza, 9234 SE Stark St. The last Sunday of EVERY MONTH from Noon to 3:00 P.M. So if you or anyone else wants to come on by, the next one is on Feb 22. All are welcome, with or without car. PM me your info name, email, etc and I'll have rick add you to the roster/mailer.

John
pm sent

I had a 13.2 and it layyed down at the top. My sixty was around 1.88.

Leadfoot is running a 8 1/4 on a fast car and might have something to say.

I would like to hear what Leadfoot is doing also. I'm going to run what I brung till it breaks! I have no more money to put this into the car for now.

I would like to hear what Leadfoot is doing also. I'm going to run what I brung till it breaks! I have no more money to put this into the car for now.

That's why I ran a 7 1/4 for three years! That's also why I have a 8 1/4 and not a 8 3/4.

J par. I was just wondering if you had put the 8 1/4 to any abuse at the track. Is it holding up? Finally got motor/tranny in my car. Got it wired. Need some small stuff done (driveline/loop/shocks, sub frame connectors, etc.. Master cylinder now leaking). Been 100+ degrees everyday for a month, doesn't look like it will cool down until well after July. Been running other car, hoping it will cool down before finishing this one. I still plan on running the 8 1/4. 3:55 suregrip. Have a dana standing by (needs fabbed/set up for a body). To hear yours is holding up would sure give a little piece of mind.

J par. I was just wondering if you had put the 8 1/4 to any abuse at the track. Is it holding up? Finally got motor/tranny in my car. Got it wired. Need some small stuff done (driveline/loop/shocks, sub frame connectors, etc.. Master cylinder now leaking). Been 100+ degrees everyday for a month, doesn't look like it will cool down until well after July. Been running other car, hoping it will cool down before finishing this one. I still plan on running the 8 1/4. 3:55 suregrip. Have a dana standing by (needs fabbed/set up for a body). To hear yours is holding up would sure give a little piece of mind.
Well the eight and three quarter held up until I got it sold. I had quite a few "danger rides" around the neighborhood and over a dozen hard passes at the drag strip. I put the rear end on Craigslist letting people know I was keeping the brakes and the backing plate and the drums and all that for my 8 3/4 - 410 spool that I built and my phone was literally ringing off the hook for that 355 track lock.
So in conclusion I would say you're fine to get started, but work on that 8 3/4 or Dana 60 or whatever you're going to go with as quick as you can while you still got resale value in the eight and a quarter. It wouldn't hurt to service the old rear end before you put more strain on it with the new motor. You know just changing a couple quarts of oil.

Well the eight and three quarter held up until I got it sold. I had quite a few "danger rides" around the neighborhood and over a dozen hard passes at the drag strip. I put the rear end on Craigslist letting people know I was keeping the brakes and the backing plate and the drums and all that for my 8 3/4 - 410 spool that I built and my phone was literally ringing off the hook for that 355 track lock.
So in conclusion I would say you're fine to get started, but work on that 8 3/4 or Dana 60 or whatever you're going to go with as quick as you can while you still got resale value in the eight and a quarter. It wouldn't hurt to service the old rear end before you put more strain on it with the new motor. You know just changing a couple quarts of oil.

Funny reading these old threads Jpar.

I am pretty sure he broke it, and the car has a 60 now.

Dang. I’ve gotten lucky with my 8 1/4.
Maybe I should have left mine and I would have been okay who knows..
But then again wrinkle wall slicks on a well prep track with a 4-speed and 476 horsepower... Something's got to give either the tires or the drivetrain LOL...

Maybe I should have left mine and I would have been okay who knows..
But then again wrinkle wall slicks on a well prep track with a 4-speed and 476 horsepower... Something's got to give either the tires or the drivetrain LOL...

You got about 50 hp on me and mine is an auto.

FWIW: In 1982 we built A 13:1 69 340 Dart. This thing spun to 7800RPM on a regular basis & saw a lot of street action. We assembled a 5:10 geared 8-1/4. It lasted all of 2 weeks. We replaced it with a 4:88 geared 8-3/4. That rearend was still in the car when I sold it.

FWIW: In 1982 we built A 13:1 69 340 Dart. This thing spun to 7800RPM on a regular basis & saw a lot of street action. We assembled a 5:10 geared 8-1/4. It lasted all of 2 weeks. We replaced it with a 4:88 geared 8-3/4. That rearend was still in the car when I sold it.
4 speed?...

4 speed?...
No, we had a 727, full manual reverse valve bodied transmission & a B&M 3500 RPM converter.
Ran 11:57 at 117mph on street tires, closed exhaust & 100-130 Avgas back in 1984 with a 160lb 8D battery in the spare tire well.

-
Back