8.25 and slicks?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My motors coming together this weekend and I should be driving by the end of the month. My problem is that I wsnted to race quite a bit this year. I have read plenty of stories about guys running these rears behind cars with slicks but I will be pushing close to 400 hp hopefully and I was curious if a 8.25 with 3:55 sure grip will handle a hard launch from a 400 horse small block on slicks?

Leadfoot has a pretty fast car with a 8.25, you should pm him to get him in here. I think womanator might have been running one in his car as well.

Just sent him a pm. Had to go over to the news and politics to track him down:)

I would think the 8.25 has the same safety concern as the gm 10 and 12 bolt diffs , there main weakness and safety issue is they use C clips to hold in the axles

Yea, ive only seen him post once in the car forum and it was another 8.25 thread, recall seeing his car with the front end off the ground

Thanks,Ed. He's been playing coy ,if true(???). More power to him,I like it.

I post a lot in the car forum. You just missed it. To answer the question we need to know if it's a sure grip. I assume it is but need to ask. The weak link in the 8.25 is the spiders. a sure grip will help to alleviate this. Somewhat. They're not a whole lot weaker than the 8.75 if at all. The pinion is a larger diameter than the 741 case 8.75 too. Next question is what size slicks? I have ten and a half inches on the ground. Next question. What transmission? If it's an automatic, what converter? For reference, I have an automatic with a 3500 converter. The biggest thing that nobody ever considers is the gears. The lower the gears the less strain there is on the rear end. Think of a three hundred set of gears and a four hundred set of gears. Just for reference. The four hundred set of gears needs the engine to rotate a full revolution over the three hundred set of gears to get the same tire revolution. Therefore the rear end takes twenty five percent less abuse. with the 4.00:1 than it does with the 3.00:1 ratio.
To answer your question directly, you'll be fine. I've driven mine like I hated it and wanted to kill it. But it's never even hinted at wanting to quit.

And I don't have the C-Clip eliminators. No pics either. Until everyone else in the N&P forum bears theirs.

:error:
And I don't have the C-Clip eliminators. No pics either. Until everyone else in the N&P forum bears theirs.

I post a lot in the car forum. You just missed it.
:sad1: DAMN.....
Have fun with it Karl,and buy some new slicks.... :eek:ops:.
Lmao.....
Back to the op.....why slicks?. Unless you have a set handy,Drag Radials work
SOOO much better double duty. You might want to talk about front & rear suspension first.What do you have now,and what do you expected it to do? .Chassis & safety first,man. Personal experience.,yes I suck.

We got hit with a tornado a few years ago. The car was sitting outside with no engine because I cracked a cylinder wall. It got the Hell beat out of it. Just got it back together in the Spring. This Spring it'll get painted. Or should.

We got hit with a tornado a few years ago. The car was sitting outside with no engine because I cracked a cylinder wall. It got the Hell beat out of it. Just got it back together in the Spring. This Spring it'll get painted. Or should.

Same here ,Karl Lit the small block ,last week. Back to damn bodywork. Sorry,o.p.

727 with 3000 rpm stall. It is a sure grip. I'm going to run some adjustable shocks with the 002/003 ss springs. Probably a 9 inch slick at 28 inches high.

Oh! I forgot the tire height. That makes a difference too. All in all, you'll be fine. Of course it never hurts to have a spare anything laying around.

I just didn't know if 400 hp was enough to justify the money and work of a 8 3/4. Probably only go to the track once a month at the most.

727 with 3000 rpm stall. It is a sure grip. I'm going to run some adjustable shocks with the 002/003 ss springs. Probably a 9 inch slick at 28 inches high.

Sounding good. If you are going to to go the drag strip continually, I would invest in a log book. Log all adjustments,one at a time. Log all E.T.'s. This stuff ,is quite addictional.Warning you now,lol.......

:wav:
Sounding good. If you are going to to go the drag strip continually, I would invest in a log book. Log all adjustments,one at a time. Log all E.T.'s. This stuff ,is quite addictional.Warning you now,lol.......

I started a log book my first time down the strip in my car. Air temp track temp fuel tire pressure.... I really got into the sport because of a friends dad. I remember seeing notebooks full in his garage of every pass he made since 85. I am slowly getting more involved and so is my car. I am deffinstly addicted. Have been since I was 18.

:wav:

I started a log book my first time down the strip in my car. Air temp track temp fuel tire pressure.... I really got into the sport because of a friends dad. I remember seeing notebooks full in his garage of every pass he made since 85. I am slowly getting more involved and so is my car. I am deffinstly addicted. Have been since I was 18.

Priceless,lol. .. You know the gig, Don't spend money,ask one question at a time. Nice.

Made the mistake of getting ahead of myself last year. Changed carbs and gears together. Being around a lot of long time racers helps. I feel for the kids without mentors.

-
Back