8.25 diff swap

-

terryr

Reaction score
I want to swap in a limited slip unit into my 8.25 axle ,I also want to retain the 3.21 gears that are in there ,there was no leaks or whines and ring and pinion are in real good shape ,what I am wondering is will I get away with placing the lsd straight in and adjusting the side adjusters until I get a good contact pattern ,obviously I know doing the whole lot would be better,but I really have not got the money at the moment to have the ring and pinion dialled in

thanks

I would suggest at the minimum to get a dial indicator and check the backlash measurement before you pull it apart and get it as close as possible when you put it back together.

If you don't disturb the pinion and you do this it will be real close.

if you do not match the teeth pattern perfectly it will wine no matter what is very difficult to put used the gears in and have no noise. They will work fine but be noisy.do this all day at Anderson dodgeand it's still very hard to get them without noise on used gears. Hope this helps

thanks guys ,so measure the backlash,and could be an idea to use some paint on the crown wheel before I disassemble,and then replace and adjust the new carrier to the paint marks and try and get the backlash the same as before

I have got a set of 3.55s too ,which I will put in over the winter, I will get that done professionaly,thats if this doesent blow up first

thanks again

thanks guys ,so measure the backlash,and could be an idea to use some paint on the crown wheel before I disassemble,and then replace and adjust the new carrier to the paint marks and try and get the backlash the same as before

If you have a dial indicator or have access to one, use it. Set it up on the ring gear (assuming what you refer to as crown wheel) start with a zero set and rock the ring gear to see what the backlash is (amount of movement of the ring against the pinion). Set it back to that and it should put you in the ballpark.

thanks

im going to need to make up a tool to do the adjusters ,am I right in thinking the hex is 36mm,so if I get a nut and weld it on a bar and an old socket on the other end ,I should be good to go ,I did see in a vid that some adjuster tools slide down the side of the carrier ,but how would you get a torque reading

I wish I had an 8 3\4,getting very thin on the ground over here

-
Back