8.25 Nightmare

-

Egorena51313

Reaction score
I have no one else to blame but myself. Jumped on a great deal on a 8.25 for my Cuda. It turned out to be a 2:45 ratio. Has a ring gear spacer been made to move that ring gear over to match up with 3:23 or better ring and pinion sets???

Is it a sure grip? If not I would hit the u pul it yards and look for a van, Dakota or jeep with a sure grip 8 1/4 and grab the whole rear to cannibalize for parts. You might even be able to find one with disc brakes.

Is it a sure grip? If not I would hit the u pul it yards and look for a van, Dakota or jeep with a sure grip 8 1/4 and grab the whole rear to cannibalize for parts. You might even be able to find one with disc brakes.

Everything you said is true however the 2.45 ratio uses a different carrier than the 2.91+ ratios.

Buy a different carrier. You can get a single leg for just about free. Or find a used Sure Grip for less than a new one.

Everything you said is true however the 2.45 ratio uses a different carrier than the 2.91+ ratios.

I am aware of the different carriers, the OP wanted to know if there was a spacer available but for an open diff why would you bother?

There isn't a spacer. About 10 years ago I had the same issue. Change the carrier. I suppose you could make a spacer out of the old 2.45:1 ring gear, however, it would be next to impossible to find the left hand thread bolts for the ring gear in the right length.

The carrier adjusts with side load adjusters and they allow the carrier to be moved side to side , i have set several of these up and never needed a ring gear spacer or a different carrier . The side load spacers are threaded into the carrier and you can deal with the space issue with those adjusters

The jeep 8.25 trac lock LSD's work up to like 1995 or so. After that the spline count changed. I have one in my car that's from 1991 or so. They are also very cheap. I think i paid $110 shipped for one that was used from an axle shop.

I guess I didn't think this out correctly. I was told that this was a 3:23 ratio with no sure grip so I bought the whole unit. In anticipation, I bought a sure grip unit for the 3:23 gears. Am I correct to say that the sure grip unit I bought will correct the space issue, but now I need to buy the new ring and pinion gears that I want?

Yes, if you have the sure grip for the higher numerical ratios buy the set you want. I used motive gears recently and was very satisfied with them. They are not expensive and were way easier to set up than the last set of richmond's I did. Dr Diff can hook you up with the gears and install kit you need.

-
Back