8.25 Question

-

321Scamp

Reaction score
How much power can an 8.25 handle? I am not talking about just driving around power. I mean driving like a muscle car should be driven, hard and often. Not a drag racer, just see what shes got kind of runs every once and a while. You know more often than not.

Hope you understand what I am asking.
Thanks

as far as I'm concerned, if your just going to be running it on the street, or keeping street tires on it then it should handle most of what your going to toss at it. If your looking at monster numbers, is a heavy car, or want to lanch hard on slicks then look else where. A small block a-body should be able to run an 8 1/4 just fine for quite some time solong as you keep slicks off of it even if you Drive the piss out of it .

I have read articles that say you can build one to handle 600 HP as long as it's a small block and an automatic.

I am pushing 370 HP out of my 360 and drive the car hard and it handles that just fine.

I put 3.91 gears 9 years ago in mine and had 3.21 for 3 years before that. Its seems good to me, I did have a good shop install the gears and used richman's and new ring bolts. For the 3.21's I left the end in the car but the 3.91's I took the rear end out myself and took it down to DTS, they tank it clean and painted black.My albrun limted slip is worn out but its still better that a open rear end. I seen in sumitt racing Eatton has a posi unit but its $550 I think--to much for me right now. Besides, it would put more stress on the axles. Mine chrips the tires on upshifts but I thinks its just the right tire.

The 8-1/4 is alot tougher rear than alot of people have given it credit for. In a A-body it should be able to stand up to quite alot of abuse as seen by the reports above. I had a 93 Dakota that had an 8-1/4 and I abused the crap out of it for 12 yrs. which included running at least 500 trips down the 1/4 in the mid 14's and it never gave me a minutes trouble.

Someone here sent me this link before. I'm going to do the same basic build, but I'm going to weld up the axle tubes, and install a set of Moser axles, since I am migrating to the late model 29 spline Dakota Suregrip.

8.25 article

Mopar Performance once told me over the phone that it would take up to 400 horse. Wether it will or won't just stating what they told me. Which I've mixed feeling about their tech guys.

Lee

i run 12.80's with mine with slicks , leaving at 3 grand, and have had it under the car since i put it on the road.

never had a problem with it...

i drive the crap out of my 73 Duster with a mild 318 and built 904 and my stock 7.25 with 2.76 gears allowed mw to run a best of 15.20 so fAr with no noises or vibrations coming from my rear still, even after 80,000 miles. i just change the oil when needed, run radial street tires, although meatier ones than stock and taller, and steer away from high rpm launches or prolonged burnouts on the street or strip(it sees reduced versions of launches and burnouts..haha). With that said, an 8.25 would be fine in your car, provided you take care of it and practice good launch techniques and run slicks as least as possibly. Just my two cents.

I think the 73 340's and 360 A bodies came from the factory with 8.25 rears. So mopar must of thought they would take a street thrashing.

-
Back