8.25 rear in 69 dart change rear wheel back space?

-

VDART

Reaction score
I just found out the 8.25 I purchased has 3.21 gears & is a sure-grip.

My car has the 7.25sbp in it now -- how will this effect the back spacing needed on the car?
a sbp rear needs roughly 4.25" on a 15x7" wheel-- I'm planning on going with a steel wheel look---

my question is what is the usual back spacing on a 15x7" bbp wheel for a 1969 dart?

I have 2 15x6.5" now & 1 15x7" bbp steelies --so I'm hoping these factory wheels will fit.

Thanks Lawrence

If it's an A-body rear and your putting it in an A-body car it should be the exact same width as the 7-1/4. Sorry, don't know what back spacing 15x7 wheels need. I've got 15x8 on mine and if I remember right their around 3-3/4 to 4" back spacing. My car is also a Cuda so that might even make a difference.

If its an A-body rear the factory wheels should fit fine, best fit is probably 4 to 4.5" of backspace depending on the tire size. The factory wheels should be 4.25" I think, so they should be fine.

The A-body 7 1/4, 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 are all pretty much the same size. I've heard discussion about the BBP 7 1/4's being about a 1/4" wider on each side than the SBP 8 3/4's, my guess is that would be true for any of the SBP rear ends, the brakes and axle offsets were slightly different so going from SBP to BBP might make the rear a little wider. But for 15x7's I don't think you'll have any issues. If you're filling the wheel wells to the last 1/4" it might make a little difference. But if you're doing that then its different from car to car anyway.

thanks-- my plan is to put a decent 15 on the rear-- do not need every 1/16" full-- & I was hoping factory 15's would work ok. Lawrence

On a duster 4in bs was best 4.5 put 275 on 8in wheel to close to the springs and they would rub.

-
Back