8.25 rebuild

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
What would a rebuild be worth at a reputable shop? I can't believe the price the shop gave me, $1147.

I figure I can buy two or three rears for that kind of money.

seals and bearings and maybe install a suregrip if I can find one.

I have a little bit of leakage on one side and just a hint of leakage on the other.

If all you're doing is replacing the seals and axle bearings, you may want to think about doing it yourself.

I had a local guy do all of the seals, new bearings, hog out the center section to fit my auburn differential, install my new gears, and install the axles. He charged me ~$250

With the cost of the parts:
~$150 for the rear axle
~$450 for the differential
~$200 for the gears
$250 for labor

I guess i was around $950 before I did the brakes. But I know it will stand up to my 340.

My advice- Go out and get an 8-3/4" if you're planning on more power. I wish I had.

Heck, for $1,147, I'll sell you my entire rear end. It's only got ~150 miles on it and doesn't whine.

-Mike

It's tough to pull the bearings unless you have the right tools. At least shop around and see if there's any local enthusiasts that can do it for you.

It's tough to pull the bearings unless you have the right tools. At least shop around and see if there's any local enthusiasts that can do it for you.

Advance Auto will loan you any tool you need to do a bearing job (bearing puller) on the axles. You do need a press to do the carrier/pinion bearings though. But if it's just seals and axle bearings I would do it myself for sure.

-
Back