8.25 to 8-3/4 or nah!??

-
Does the 2.45 gear housing need to be ground to put 3.55's in it?

Good question- maybe someone can chime in here. The Hemmings article talks about differences between the years & gears.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/01/01/hmn_feature21.html

I'm thinking about building a 3.23 SG with my 2.45 spare axle housing, then it's either swapping in the 3.23 SG or going with a taller tire & wheel combination.
The 3.55's are nice, but I want some of my freeway gearing & gas mileage back.
Maybe an OD unit or 4 spd auto w/OD trans.
Taller tires & wheels are cheaper. I dunno.

You can get a Dana 35 from a jeep almost anyplace in the USA for around 350, Most has a sure grip and the gears varries, I have found 3.55, 2.73 and 4.11 Just make sure it is 27 spline.

Dittos,

I only have the 8.75 because i lucked onto it. Housing for $100, new dr diff axles $200, and a 742 open chunk for $100.

However i still need to upgrade the gears, put in a suregrip. And a bearing kit. So i am still looking at $200 gears, $150 bearing and shim master kit, and a good clutch type suregrip. Not cheap around $600 new. Less used.

Will probably run it as is and collect up the 1K worth of parts over time to rebuild it.

In this regard had i come across an 8.25 A body rear first, i would have grabbed that, put a set of gears and limited slip in it out of a junkyard jeep cherokee and been done with it. And i may still look for an 8.25 and sell what i have accumulated for the 8.75.

Matt

Does the 2.45 gear housing need to be ground to put 3.55's in it?

If it the carrier I am thinking about you would have to get or I should say make a spacer for the ring gear. MEMIKE has experience with them.

-
Back