8 3/4, (741) Pinion seal removal

-

dave273dart

Reaction score
I am switching our my 3.55 to my 2.76-i red the posts on marking the nut an all-the chunk is out-what is the best way to secure it to losten the nut (torque is 400+ pounds). I know many of you have done it before. Can I use my air tools if I am very carful (lostening nut only). Thanks

Dave

Losening the nut with airtools should be no problem. Tightening however use the torque wrench. torque should be 240 foot punds when new. What's most important is that you check the preload of the pinion bearings. should be around 15-20 inch pound. If it's lower than that, keep it that way when tightening the nut after you replace the seal, because if you exceed it you might ruin the bearings.
You'll probably won't be able to change it however, because the pinion bearing preload is set using a spacer and shims which between the bearings, and not a collapsible spacer as used in the 489 casing. So if the preload is gone, which is common in a used centersection, just leave it that way, otherwise you're talking about a full rebuild (if you want to do it the right way)

Good luck,

Antoon

You will have to secure the yoke. A vise works great, or a very large spanner.

Antoon

Thanks Antoon!

I thought that a vice (which I have) would be my only option since I don't have a spanner. When I said to torque the nut to 400 + pounds I did mean 200, that what my service manual shows. I should have checked what I had written. The 2.76 didn't leak before, why take a chance. I appreciate your time an effort Antoon.
Oh ya, things tend to get a little harder at 67, but I am still going strong.

Dave

It just so happens I'm in the process of rebuilding my 741 myself, so all the data hangs fresh in my mind, just glad I could help.

best regards,

Antoon

I've never attempted to rebuild a rear end or a transmission. I don't suppose it is as difficult as we think it is before we get into it. My 67 Dart 270 has been pretty simple. I built the 273, 40 over, Comp Cam 264, 468, I kept my mechanical set up and of course a 4 brl. Nice power for just a little thing. I Put 2 1/4 " duel exhaust which runs off my original exhaust manifold. I probably should have gone with 2" for a little more torque. Have a good day.

Talk to ya later

Dave

The only hard part to rebuilding a differential is the heavy lifting. Their really simple you'll see once you've done it. I've done about 5 or 6. Get yourself a real good impact and that'll make things easier too. I have the Ingersol 2131 and it works real good.

-
Back