8 3/4 and 8 1/4 rear ends

-

moparker

Reaction score
Why did Chrysler quit putting the 8 3/4 in dusters and dart sports? The 8 1/4's aren't near as strong. Just curious.

$$$
I'm sure the 8 1/4"s are cheaper to build than the 8 3/4"s
And like crvtec90 said the HP was disapearing also.
Manufacturers will go to great lengths to save on production costs.

What they said.... why put more expensive 8.75s in cars when they dont need them? It was probably, definately, a money thing.

I would think the rears that Ma put in her cars were adequate for the horse power or they would have had more warranty work than was feasable. Now when you start putting a great deal of hopped up motor in the cars then you need a hopped up rear end. I do like the 8.75 better myself but i do have some 8.25's. Have redone both type and once you do em they neither one aren't bad to do. Kinda fun actually. Gives one a sence of accomplishment. You do need some real tools though.

Really it was all about money. The man was right in saying nothing had enough power to need one! But the fact is they already had proven tooling and everything to continue making the 8.75 rears. Some bean counting geek convinced the engineers that it would be cheaper to produce the lighter C-clip type rears with some of the components being made in Mexico and Canada (yes, even back then!) I used to pick up 8-3/4 complete rears for $50 or even FREE but now they are getting harder to find and so are the excellent Dana Power Lok carriers.

Why did Chrysler quit putting the 8 3/4 in dusters and dart sports? The 8 1/4's aren't near as strong. Just curious.

The 8.25 is pretty close to the same strength as an 8.75. There has been more 8.25's put under chrysler vehicles than any other rear end and is still being used today almost 40 years latter. Seems like it was a pretty good decision.

I figured it was something like that. I think the bean counting dweeb is the closest to the truth in my opinion. Thanks guys!

-
Back