8 3/4 axle bearing install

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
Ok, so I have an 8 3/4 bare housing for my Scamp. I bought a set of axles off of Cass @ Dr. Diff and I have a complete Yukon install kit with factory style bearings (I had Cass make the axles to accept the tapered roller.) This thing was never assembled so I have no reference for how all the seals and bearings were installed before. I need a guide, or advice at least, with the steps to installing the inner and outer seals, bearings, retaining collar, retainer plates, etc.

I could probably just wing it but I don't feel like destroying a seal or assembling in the wrong order and having to find replacement collars.

Thanks FABO!

.............u can download a service manual off the net......stand ur axle uprite on the studs......mounting plate, cup or cone as ppl call it by different names,beveled side up, press on bearing, beveled side down, so they fit together, make sure its seated all the way down, then press on the collar or lock ring as its called, the mounting plate with the adjuster goes on the passenger side......ur seal goes into the housing, fill the side with the spring with grease as it keeps the spring from popping out......if u cant get a proper driver for installing it u can use a pipe that is almost the same diameter to drive it in, its a very tight fit and needs to seat against the inner lip of the housing.....kim.....

Here is a breakdown of an 8 3/4.

Attachments

• 8.75moparrearend.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,241
Kim - Thanks for the play by play coach. Much appreciated.

Or see your local machine or driveline shop and have them do it, otherwise follow oldkim inst

Ha, take it to a shop, lol! Thats a good one :D SS. I have never brought anything to a shop to be done that I can do on my own. I have all the tools I would ever need and the facility. I'm a mechanic by trade, just a young one. This is my first Mopar I've taken on to build.

Here is a breakdown of an 8 3/4.

Thanks Bad Sport! Thats exactly what I needed to help me visualize the assembly.

-
Back