8 3/4 Brake Help

-

charger426

Reaction score
I'm running into a problem with an A-Body rear I bought a little while back. The backing plates that came with it use a 2.5" shoe which from my research is for a BBP rear. The problem is the axels that came with it and my wheels are SBP. I really want to keep SBP. I rather just keep drums as this is a street car and I don't have a bunch of money to just throw around here. Plus it seems like all the disk brake conversations I see require 15" wheels and BBP. Any one have any ideas?

The A-body SBP 8 3/4 uses a specific axle spacing and will only work with the original backing plates which uses 10x 1 3/4 brake shoe. If you want to run discs and retainthe SBP, your going to have to run the Kelsey Hayes 67-72 A-body disc brakes. These or the 73 up A-body BBP disc brakes can use 14" rims.

Yeah thats what I'm finding out the hard way. The .25 difference in bearing spacing is whats screwing me. Looks like I have a line on some correct backing plates so figures crossed everything works.

Scarebird makes a disk conversion for the 67-72 A-bodies using a 14 in wheel

It shouldn't be that hard for you to find a set of the 10x1 3/4 brakes. People convert them to big bolt all the time. Maybe try a wanted ad?

I just found a set of correct backing plates. In case anyone is wondering Doctor Diff does sell a disk conversation for the SBP rear.

-
Back