8 3/4 Brake Parts ID

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
After several years of searching, I finally bought a nearly complete 8 3/4 for our 67 Cuda convertible. It is a 489 case 3.23 unit, with the backing plates and wheel cylinders.
Now I need to figure out how to purchase the brake parts, drums etc. How do I go about figuring out what size drums I need, and how to order parts? Thanks. Larry

4" bolt circle would be 10X1 7/8" brakes and 4 1/2" bolt circle would be 10X2 1/2" brakes or larger. If the backing plates measure 11" or just a tad less they are for 10" brakes...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it is the small bolt pattern. I wanted to keep it the same since I bought the new Cragars.
I used to have a good parts guy that would work with me on locating parts. Not anymore.
I just don't know what year/model car to ask for when ordering the brake kits and drums..
Thanks again. Larry

I like to run the 72 style brakes. Tell them that you have a 72 Duster when you order the parts.

The spring and adjuster plate are different in 67 than the 72 series. In 67 the spring that goes from one shoe to the other on the bottom hooks onto the adjuster for the brakes. In 72, it goes from shoe to shoe, and the adjuster is independent. The shoes are the same.

Also make sure that you get the rear shoes with the round holes for the upper springs, not the triangle shaped ones, they won't work right.

I thought that all 8 3/4s had the big bolt pattern?
All original "A" body 8 3/4 rears were small bolt pattern, except for the 68 Hemi cars. Except Hemi cars, all had 10 x 1 3/4 brakes. Look at your wheel cylinders and you can tell which backing plates you have. Get the hardware for what you have. Either works well. 10 x 1 3/4 drums all fit.

All original "A" body 8 3/4 rears were small bolt pattern, except for the 68 Hemi cars. Except Hemi cars, all had 10 x 1 3/4 brakes. Look at your wheel cylinders and you can tell which backing plates you have. Get the hardware for what you have. Either works well. 10 x 1 3/4 drums all fit.

Did not know that, thanks for the insight!

-
Back