??? 8 3/4 brakes ???

-

project360

Reaction score
i am trying to find out if the rear drums and backing plates from my 7 1/4 will fit an 8 3/4 off a 70 - 74 Plymouth Cuda / Challenger.

i found a nice set up with no brakes or plates, and read somewhere that some of the 7 1/4 brakes and plates will bolt up to 8 3/4s....

IS THIS TRUE ?

My brother did this on his, took them off a 7 1/4 and put them on his 8 3/4. he may have had to elongate a hole or something? I don't remember, I just know that they fit on almost perfectly.

The A-body rear brakes are 1 3/4" wide where the E-body are 2 1/2" because of the different axle offset of the e-body to accomodate the wider brake the A-body stuff won't work, not to mention the different bolt pattern.

different bolt pattern? are you referring to the backing plate or the axles.
i will be narrowing this axle if i get it and putting in strange A-body axles

If your shortening and getting new axles you should be able to get it to work. Some of the 7 1/4 backing plates have 4 holes and some have 5 like on the 8 3/4. If it has 4 you can drill the 5th out and everything should bolt up.

You didn't mention that you were going to get new axles. As long as the new axles are made with the A-body offset and the small bolt pattern then the a-body drums will fit.

Most folks go the other way and get the B/E body offset with big bolt pattern so they can use the readily available 10 x 2.5 or 11 x 2.5 drums.

im just trying to put something together that isnt going to cost me 1000 to complete.
i have a friend that will narrow it at no charge, the rear is only $200 plus some gears
($150) spool ($180)and axles ($300) is the extra parts i will need. ( $830 completed )

another option im looking at is an 8.25 suregrip complete A-body ready to bolt in and would just need a 4.11 gear set.... just havent found much info on this rear, but did read is suitable for up to 500 crank hp with the suregrip. ( $550 completed with 4.11s)

i was also looking at an A body 8 3/4 open diff unit on here for 630 delivered ,but still needs gears and spool also. so its still $930 ish completed

any thoughts

Don't forget your 7-1/4 lower shock mounts and U-bolts won't work on the 8-3/4 due to the 7-1/4 having 2-1/2" diameter axle tubes and the 8-3/4 using 3" axle tubes. A bud of mine just scrapped out a couple cars and asked me to list a couple sets of 8-3/4 shock mounts for sale as well as a set of big brake (2-1/2") backing plates for sale reasonable. If your interested shoot me a PM.

thanks, i havent dediced which way to go just yet. but will look in to that

i put my shock plates on the bridgeport elongated the holes. but im poor cause im laid off..

-
Back