8 3/4 carrier bearing question

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
I have a sure grip out of a 741 that I rebuilt and swaped my 489 gears onto. When I try to install the carrier, it would not fit. It look like the bearing are the wrong size? Do the different housing (741,742, 489) take different carrier bearing, or do I something else wrong?

I believe the 489 bearings are larger. I don't believe the 489 ring is going to mate to the smaller pinion either.

Not the pinion bearing, but the cone bearings on the end of sure grip where the housing hold it. If it is different, got a part number?

Can you explain exactly what you have done? I do have some Timkens for a 489 in the garage, I can get the number.

The older clutch type sure grips took a different bearing than the cone type sure grips used in 489 cases but I've used them in 489 cases without any issue. You just use the bearings made for the clutch type SG. The bearing width was always the same on both, just the i.d. is smaller on the clutch type SG. What are the part #'s on the carrier bearings you used? I assume you've tried backing the adjusters all the way out and trying from scratch?

The older clutch type sure grips took a different bearing than the cone type sure grips used in 489 cases but I've used them in 489 cases without any issue. You just use the bearings made for the clutch type SG. The bearing width was always the same on both, just the i.d. is smaller on the clutch type SG. What are the part #'s on the carrier bearings you used? I assume you've tried backing the adjusters all the way out and trying from scratch?

Are the bearings already pressed onto the carrier?

This is the deal.

Measure the OD of your SG carrier. The below OD's are the bearings you need.
~2" = LM104912
~1.79 = 25520

Get the appropriate cups/races for the above bearings
LM104949

You may need the cups/races if the cup is a bunch larger than the bearing.

The pumpkin have the same OD for the races...

The mopar ring gears for all ratios throughout the 8.75 are the same. If you have a 4.10 ring for a 741, it's the same as a 4.10 ring in a 489 or 742. The pinions are the variable.

...............those #s r 4 an open diff or a cone suregrip, they will fit in any case..........kim........

You are right, I assumed he had the cone SG since he mentioned 489. I wasn't thinking. 25520 is for the clutch Sg. Sorry

-
Back