8 3/4 confused?????

-

71Demon

Reaction score
I am getting different stories on 8 3/4's in A Bodies. Are they all 43" spring hangers or were the Dusters and Demons 44"? There is a guy selling a Duster Dana with 44" hangers he says came out of a Duster. I measured my old stashed Demon project car and it too measures 44" center to center. Did someone just stick in the wrong rear in this Demon. Do they work with 44" hangers on Dusters and Demons?

My 72 Duster with 8 3/4 is 43",you might have a B body rear,they are a tad wider.

I guess someone squeezed a B-Body rear in the Demon I bought. Looks like it was there originally though and the shackles are not moved.????

No A-body ever used 44" center perches on the rear ends but I've seen guys squeeze them in. The bushings in the leaf springs give enough to do it although it's not a good thing to do. It'll eat up the bushings since their in a bind.

here ya go! Hope this is helpful

diffcharsmall.JPG

I'm confused too!! My 8 3/4 measures 55.00 for width 45.50 for center to center perches with 11" brakes, and posi unit. Axles were attached old style (nuts). The other bare housing measures 53.00 for width and 43.50 perches. I guess they just eyeballed some of the measurements!!!

it happens i know this guy that bought a car cause it had a factory b body dana 60...... brought it home and was given a learning lesson on the difference between a dana 60 and a 9 1/4 :banghead:

That being said, there's nothing wrong with running a B-body rearend in your Demon. I put the 68 B-body rearend in my Duster and used the offset shackle kit at the same time and everything fits and works great! It actually couldn't possibly fit better!
4-11-2009011.jpg

I can't agree more. The B Body rear looks like a decent fit under the Demon. I'll probably move the perches in when I restore this car and use the B Body rear since the A Body ones are so hard to find.

I can't believe the trouble people go through to get an a-body 8 3/4...
You can find pre-75 1/2 tons , b-body and c-body housings for next to nothing. You can buy the housing ends new from Summit for about 70.00
or you can cut the old ones off and put them on a lathe . I have a local driveline shop that will do this for me for around 200.00 .( I mean the entire narrowing process ) He has done this for years ! If you're careful you can even reuse the perches !

I know the guys with them for sale don't want this public , but really ! It's not like the A-body housing have some unique property or come from a different planet.... There was a guy out here that had an entire assembly for sale on craigslist for 2000.00 ..... He is freakin nuts ! And the guy that may have bought it must be a moron !

Sorry..... enough...I'm calm now

And yes I agree , the B-body housing under Demons ,Dusters and Dart Sports
fills out the fender wells better. Just relocate the perches.

I'm confused too!! My 8 3/4 measures 55.00 for width 45.50 for center to center perches with 11" brakes, and posi unit. Axles were attached old style (nuts). The other bare housing measures 53.00 for width and 43.50 perches. I guess they just eyeballed some of the measurements!!!

The rear ends with bolt on drums were 65 and older if I remember right so yours must be an old B-body rear. Don't know why the spring perches are so far apart though. Somebody must have screwed up welding them on.

-
Back