8 3/4 diff

-

roadripper

Reaction score
So pulled the pumpkin out of my 8 3/4 due to broken pinion snubber bolt . When the pumpkin came out two pcs fell onto the floor that I've never seen before ?? Any ideas what purpose they are and if I need to install these back inside ??

Thanks Mike
67 barracuda

20161102_235311.jpg

That's the thrust pin for the axles to butt against. It installs in the very center of the differential. It appears to be broken. There is a small pin that is supposed to go through both pieces and hold them together. That pin looks broken.

If you have stock bearings, you need that for end play adjustment. If you have green bearings that don't require endplay adjustment, that should be removed.
They sell those, but all you need is the roll pin.

If you have stock axle bearings and want to reinstall it, it is fairly simple. Punch the remaining roll pin out of the thrust block by placing a socket or something similar on the larger side of the thrust block and drive it out from the smaller side with a punch. Reinstall each side of the thrust block by sliding them into each side of the differential, small ends first from where the axles go into it, slide a new roll pin in from one side, place a large drift against the roll pin head from the side you just installed it from, rotate the differential so that it's sitting on the drift, take a center punch and punch the opposite side of the roll pin. This will cause the roll pin to mushroom out to hold both pieces of the thrust block together.

No money in the budget to replace with new axles so replace the pin and we're good to go ?

Thanks for your help!!

Mike 67 Barrcuda

No money in the budget to replace with new axles so replace the pin and we're good to go ?

Thanks for your help!!

Mike 67 Barrcuda

Yep; replace the pin and you're golden. Make sure you check the axle end play after installation. I usually back of the adjuster before installation to ensure I don't damage anything.

-
Back