8 3/4 for 1971 Duster

-

ADHD426

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am confused on what cars I can take an 8 3/4 rear end off of and throw it under my 1971 Duster without modifications. I have searched the forum but can't find a cut and dry answer. I thought it was only other A bodies, but I think I am mistaken. Anyone that can provide a quick list of years and models that would fit will be my hero!

Andrew

66/67 B body.

Dropped right in to my 73 Duster and put the rear wheels in the same track as the fronts.

Ran for 3 plus years. No prob.

Any factory A body 8.75 rear will fit no problems. Some B body rears will just as well but you'll to move the spring perches in 1/2" each one and you'll need different backspaced wheel when using the B Body rear.

The only ones that are a direct bolt in are the Mopar A-body and Ford Mustang/Maverick rears. There are 8 1/4 A-body rears that you can use from '73-'76 that will give you big bolt pattern if you wish to convert it. Ford 8" and 9" rears from a mustang or maverick will bolt in and give you big bolt pattern. You will need a new driveshaft for either one.

People have used a B-body rear for them, especially the 1965 B body because it is the shortest, but it is wider than the A-body rear so you have to run wheels with different offset and it won't match the front very well. Also, you still have to re-weld the saddles to 43" IIRC.

If you want small bolt pattern 8 3/4, I recommend you go to a mopar swap meet. I see the axles & brakes for sale very cheap from people that convert their cars to big bolt pattern. Purchase them, and have a housing shortened for you at the right length for $100 or so. This isn't the quickest way to get it, but you can do it cheaply that way.

A body 8 3/4s are still fetching a premium.
My brother sold one at the most recent Don Garlits show for $250, bare.

66/67 B body 8 3/4 are almost give away price.
Saw a few go to the scrapper last year.
$100 with backing plates and open 2.76/2.94 carrier is not unusual.

1/2 inch isn't worth grinding and rewelding.
No backspacing issues on a Duster/ Dart Sport or 67-69 Barracuda.

This is one of the best kept secrets in the Mopar hobby!

This is the only crappy pic I have of my Duster.
It has the 66/67 B body axle in this pic.
Note how the rear track is in line with the factory disk brake front track.
Those are 15x6.5 OE rallye wheels on the rear and 14s on the front.
I drove it that way from about 1992 until about 1996.
No axle related problems ever.

Attachments

• Duster.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 175
I run an early B body rear in my Dart Sport. Stock Rallye wheels. I did however move the perches in.

A body 8 3/4 is the only direct bolt in.If you should go a different course do yourself and the next guy a favor,mark the rear,year and body.Buying parts then finding out you have someone elses frankenstein sucks!

A body 8 3/4s are still fetching a premium.
My brother sold one at the most recent Don Garlits show for $250, bare.

66/67 B body 8 3/4 are almost give away price.
Saw a few go to the scrapper last year.
$100 with backing plates and open 2.76/2.94 carrier is not unusual.

1/2 inch isn't worth grinding and rewelding.
No backspacing issues on a Duster/ Dart Sport or 67-69 Barracuda.

This is one of the best kept secrets in the Mopar hobby!

This is the only crappy pic I have of my Duster.
It has the 66/67 B body axle in this pic.
Note how the rear track is in line with the factory disk brake front track.
Those are 15x6.5 OE rallye wheels on the rear and 14s on the front.
I drove it that way from about 1992 until about 1996.
No axle related problems ever.

Did you have to make any modifications to bolt it on? Did you just leave the spring perches?

-
Back