8 3/4 housing U-bolt torque

-
Just standard practice. It's got to do with not wanting to "bind up" the stack in it's free state. When you have the car's weight on the spring it's more in it's normal state.

Any idea why?

Because it's in every GOOD chassis publication. Because every good shop IN THE KNOW does it that way. The reason is to make DAMN SURE nothing is in a bind. You are supposed to tighten every suspension bolt with the weight of the vehicle on the tires, to assure there are no binds anywhere. Example: Put a control arm on. Tighten it down with the vehicle in the air with the arm at full droop. When you put the weight on the tires, you will tear the control arm bushing right out of the shell. Is that reason enough? Sometimes you just do something because it's a good idea.

Because it's in every GOOD chassis publication. Because every good shop IN THE KNOW does it that way. The reason is to make DAMN SURE nothing is in a bind. You are supposed to tighten every suspension bolt with the weight of the vehicle on the tires, to assure there are no binds anywhere. Example: Put a control arm on. Tighten it down with the vehicle in the air with the arm at full droop. When you put the weight on the tires, you will tear the control arm bushing right out of the shell. Is that reason enough? Sometimes you just do something because it's a good idea.
Easy big fellow (lol), I genuinely was seeking some insight. Makes perfect sense and I didn't really think about it that way until you brought me to the light, thanks.

-
Back