8 3/4 issue

-
old Volkswagens had the same deal, backed the nut off one turn, then drive it around the block and by the time you make it back, it has come loose.

Ah. Does it work that much better than the 3 jaw in the pic? Suppose they rent them? I've put a whole lot of grunt into the puller that I have, it didn't move at all using a 24" breaker bar. Are these axles worth saving? Will the center section be splined the same as later models? It has a SureGrip in it, so I'd like to use it if I can. I have other axles.

old Volkswagens had the same deal, backed the nut off one turn, then drive it around the block and by the time you make it back, it has come loose.
Ha! I wish I could do that! Cool trick!

And why in the *#! &! would they press fit the drums!???
That's crazy!

Ah. Does it work that much better than the 3 jaw in the pic? Suppose they rent them? I've put a whole lot of grunt into the puller that I have, it didn't move at all using a 24" breader bar. Are these axles worth saving? Will the center section be splined the same as later models? It has a SureGrip in it, so I'd like to use it if I can. I have other axles.

I believe you'll find the puller like Rob has will work quite a bit better but I don't think Summit rents tools. Those axles will only work in housings with the old style ends. Splines are the same but I've read (no personal experience) that the sure grip may have a different width spacer in it for axle bearing preload so that may be an issue when using newer flanged axles, unless it's a newer sure grip someone installed later on. If it is the original sure grip it'll be a clutch type which uses thrust pins that are real easy to swap out if they are a different length

well typed too slow, you guys beat me to it!!
Yes it is an early tapered axle and like RRR says you need a dog bone and a sledge to get it off. Make sure you leave the nut on the axle or it may fly off and injure you. Those flanges are swedged to the brake drum on the older axles. So that means you probably have warped the drum now. Usually the drum and hub come off together. There is a thread that shows how to convert to a flanged axle and a thread on how to convert the drums. Some of the older drums, hubs and axles are almost impossible to find.

Lol, I know Summit doesn't rent tools...lol. I see how I worded that, my bad. I was thinking maybe Vatozone or Orileys. The rear was missing the drum from the driver side and the passenger drum had been torched off already, the PO obviously lost his mind on it and swapped it for a Dana. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the hub and get to the SureGrip. It's gonna be tricky with the rear sitting free. And thank you for the info fishy 68.

-
Back