8 3/4" Leak

-

Taconite

Reaction score
I have a 742 8 ¾”. It is leaking out of the front of the center section where it bolts to the drive shaft. I would assume that it is the Pinion seal. How is this replaced? Are there any special tools required?

Thanks, for the help in advance.

You may get away with just replacnig the seal if you have a big enough breaker bar and socket to get the pinion nut back on w/240ft-lbs torque.

What you have is a pinion seal leaking National part# 7216 , when you go get one just get them to cross it over to there number C R # 18192 if you want to use it also , borrow a electric impact , if you do not have air , unhook the drivshaft from yoke at housing , if you do not have big sockets borrow a 1 1/8/ ,1/14 deep or use a short extention after the nut is off tap the yoke with small hammer pull it off , there is the seal pry it out and do the reverse back together , i would make sure you have at least 200 lb torque on the nut .

How long has it been leaking and what fluid have you been replacing it with?

Just wondering if light duty fluid (low viscosity) is blowing by the seal. Also, when it leaks how are you filling back up (or have you)?

Sorry for the elementary questions.....

PK

The center chuck is only about 5 years old. I bought it as a complete center section from Mancini Racing. I probably have 300 miles on it. This past winter I pulled the rear end, center chuck, axles to repaint it. I replaced the fluid with a 90W with the sure grip additive. I have put 0 miles since because, my next project is painting the car. I just noticed it leaking and I would like to replace the seal prior to putting the drive shaft back in.

-
Back