8 3/4 Leaking...seals or something else?

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. I noticed the last time I moved my 73 dart sport (340/727/8 3/4) that there was gear oil leaking from the passenger side. I popped the drum off and its leaking a fair amount of oil. Is it coming from a bad axle seal or is it due to some adjustment issue? The other side isn't leaking.

AND if that gear lube gets on your brake shoes they are TOAST and will have to be replaced immediatly.
Rear seal is leaking. IMO

one thing about the 8 3/4 is that the axle seal is inside of the tube if you are using the stock type of bearings. After you replace the seal, make sure you dont slice up the new seal with the splines of the axle shaft. Wrap the splines with newspaper and then slide them through the new seal. Pull the paper away as soon as the splines clear the seal. It would be a good time to grease the bearing IF yu are using the stok type bearings as these usee grease instead of being lubed by the axle gearoil. also remember to check the endplay. It should have not changed but its good to check it anyway.

one thing about the 8 3/4 is that the axle seal is inside of the tube if you are using the stock type of bearings. After you replace the seal, make sure you dont slice up the new seal with the splines of the axle shaft. Wrap the splines with newspaper and then slide them through the new seal. Pull the paper away as soon as the splines clear the seal. It would be a good time to grease the bearing IF yu are using the stok type bearings as these usee grease instead of being lubed by the axle gearoil. also remember to check the endplay. It should have not changed but its good to check it anyway.
x2 and you will prolly want to do BOTH seals as doing it again in a few months is a bummer just ask me.....

Inspect the outer seal, if it's bad then yes. I'm betting it's the inner seal. And again is your diff vented? If not it can build pressure and force the gear lube past the inner axle seal.

Also inspect the axle for a wear groove. It may be time to switch to a green bearing and seal which will solve the groove problem.

AND if that gear lube gets on your brake shoes they are TOAST and will have to be replaced immediatly.
Rear seal is leaking. IMO

Did my first brake job in 1975 and made my living as a mechanic until I was hurt in 99 and never have I ever had to replace brake shoes from getting gear oil on them. They clean right up with mineral spirits or brake cleaner. Just let them dry good. As long as there's still plenty of material left, no need for all that.

Right as usual Rob! And I would add,as long as the shoes are not cracked either..

-
Back