8 3/4 or…?

-

mike240

Reaction score
I think this an 8 3/4” but not expert enough. Casting number is 8 3/4 right?

5E4D005D-AF5D-4F99-88EA-7F587A06BFFE.png

2D49AF8A-D549-44DA-AEEC-2ECA9DD0E1EF.png

236153B6-3413-45AA-A011-C7C108685DBA.png

Yes. And it is upside down. That being said, when you flip it over, looks like the perches will be on top of the springs - came out of a truck.

Saw on FB Marketplace as a 9”. By the time I went through and narrowed it for early A body….well back to a new 9” from Speedway probably. No rush.

It is in Marana, near Tucson if anyone else wants it.

Well after my post I thought twice. The 489 is the sought after center section but have figured numbers to make it what I want. Do not know if it is locked up or not. He is asking 750 obo. I havent had an answer to my questions yet. But he thinks it to be a Ford 9.

It looks like he found it in the desert and took pics before taking it home.

750 is too much for it.

Here in CO a guy is selling a real A body 8 3/4 in great shape (not a rust belt model) flange to flange minus the drums for just north of 1000.

All the 8 3/4 housings I have bought have been from 350 to 900 and you can guess the quality based on price.

Saw on FB Marketplace as a 9”. By the time I went through and narrowed it for early A body….well back to a new 9” from Speedway probably. No rush.

It is in Marana, near Tucson if anyone else wants it.

How much? The center section would be worth it, it's a 489 case.

Shooooot...... in the last 12 years, I've bought 5 A body 8.75's drum to drum. The most I've paid was $400, the most recent this year cost me only $100 and it's a 3.23 sure grip, to boot.

I figure even at 300, narrowing and complete rebuild there has to be better out there. The 489 casting isnt going to change that cost much. Still have fingers crossed for an A body 8 3/4” I have lots to do before the rear end is essential. Total rebuild cost could drive me to the new 9”.

Depending of what use it will get with that horsepower, you are best going with a 9 1/4 or a dana 60.

Agreed, I can't speak highly enough of Cass. He is a great salesman, knows his stuff and gets you set up right. If I remember right, it was only a couple hundred bucks more the the Dana over the 8.75.
Will I ever really need it? Probably not, maybe it's just me giving the finger to everyone in a Prius.

Strange S-60
Options:Body Style: A-Body; Width: Stock Mopar; Perches: Stock Mopar Measurements (+$125.00); Powdercoat Housing: Yes (+$175.00); Cover: Powder Coated (Black) Aluminum "S" Cover (+$40.00); Axles: 35 Spline Street/Strip; Carrier: S-Trac/Truetrac (+$175.00); Gear Material: Standard; Gear Ratio: 4.10; Studs: 1/2" X 2"; Yoke: Cr-Moly (+$55.00); Reproduction Pinion Snubber Plate: Yes (+$70.00); Custom Measurements/Notes: 56 5/8 assembly width;
$2,935.00 1 $2,935.00

Wasn't there a guy on here who bought a rusty 8-3/4 and couldn't get the axles out?? Buyer beware.
I remember that, too. I'm pretty sure he wasn't in Arizona though.

I sent this guy a message about the rear, waiting to hear back. I don't need it, but I'll go have a look and report back if anyone's interested. He's only 30 minutes from me.

So glad I have the tools to shorten these 8.75's and Dana's...

I know how I'd approach that seller if I wanted it.

How much? The center section would be worth it, it's a 489 case.
The 489 is the tapered pinon. If it came out of a truck or van (3/4 ton) it would not fit well in an A-body but would fit a "B" body. It's a 1/2 or 1 inch wider than the "B" body. The center section is worth 7-900 if limited slip and in working condition.

The 489 is the tapered pinon. If it came out of a truck or van (3/4 ton) it would not fit well in an A-body but would fit a "B" body. It's a 1/2 or 1 inch wider than the "B" body. The center section is worth 7-900 if limited slip and in working condition.

That's what I was thinking. Forget the housing, but the center sections would be worth it.

-
Back