8-3/4 or Ford 9 inch???

-
i have to say one thing as far as the 9 inch it would be easier to find and cheaper but you have to keep in mind the 9 inches people are running under race cars that are bulletproof are in no way stock most have very little if any factory components left in them. If i were you i would stick with the 8 3/4 if you buy one out of a c body they can usually be found for around 100.00 bucks complete and then you can have the housing and axles shortened for around 200.00 so you would then have around 300.00-400.00 in an a body sized 8 3/4 but then you would still have to find a sure grip center section unless you were lucky enough to get one in the c body housing but then if you do you probably didnt pay 100.00 bucks for it so your prices would go up accordingly. Those prices are of course in my area i am not sure if they will be the same for you but i hope so. Best of luck to you Justin

any and all comments from you mopar purists i have no time for...thats not the type of response i was looking for, but thats really all i have gotten....Have heard many great things about the 9 inch in all sorts of cars, and wondering what opinions on its strength, usability and price were on this board...guess i couldnt really get that though...and crack jokes arent really that funny

Man you slay me. Your on a Mopar web site( the best I might add) what did you expect. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that If you pose this same question on a fo , fer, fod, Hell I can't even type it. That you would get the thumbs up for the 9", and laughed at about putting a 8 3/4 in your stang. I thought I gave you a pretty good fact filled unbiased view in my previous post?

the 8 3/4 is inherently stronger,and takes less hp to drive it than a 9" or a dana.bigblockdart.com has a page that tells the exact dimensions of all the mopar rears.the b body rear is 59 1/2" to the wheel flanges and 44 inches to perch centers. a body is 57 1/2" to wheel flanges and 43 1/2 " to perch centers 2" diffrence,hmmmm,add big bolt disc brakes moves front wheels out 2" what a coincidence b body rears are a dime a dozen,offset rear wheels and your there move spring perches 1/4" and viola!!!but in the end a lot of guy's run 9" rears and are happy with them so do what is best for you.

One other problem with the Ford 9 inch: because of the angle of the pinion, which is less than ideal, there is a power loss with a 9 inch. If you check the power at the wheels on a dyno and then swap in an 8¾ or a Dana and check it again you will find that the 8¾ and Dana deliver more power to the wheels. Not an huge difference but it is there. My car has a B body Dana 60 in it. Gear changes are far more involved and expensive but it is nice to know I couldn't blow up my rear unless I used a bomb. A BIG bomb.

I had this same question also so, I investigate it and found that a Dana was for me.
The 8.75 is a great axle and would do well in our Duster as long as we stay with a small block, in my opinion. Fellow racer twisted the axle tubes, loosing pinion angle, every weekend, in his 8.75, 68 Cuda W2 combo.
The Ford axle has more aftermarket HD parts available than any other and as everyone has said, can be made bulletproof. Ford built the 9" and purposely design the pinion low in the case to provide more tooth contact, making it stronger, but also consuming more power. Then they cast the center section out of the worst(cheapest) cast iron they could find.
Chrysler did the right thing, by making sure the basic materials were up to the challenge, but if you can find a 9" with a nodular iron carrier housing, you can't go wrong with it, either.
The Dana is what I bought, cause for now they can still be found easy enough and a 3/4 or 1 ton truck axle is nearly indestructable, carrying half of it's intended load, if the gears are installed correctly.

any and all comments from you mopar purists i have no time for...thats not the type of response i was looking for, but thats really all i have gotten....Have heard many great things about the 9 inch in all sorts of cars, and wondering what opinions on its strength, usability and price were on this board...guess i couldnt really get that though...and crack jokes arent really that funny

You know I read this post when you first wrote it but thought, naw I'll just let it go. Today after more was added I decided to re-read all posts up to the point of it and see only 1 post seems negative, referring to putting down the crack pipe. I'm sure he just meant it jokingly. Sorry if it offended you. You state above that the only type of response you got was from Mopar purists and you have no time for them. It seems to me that all but that one post have been objectionable and full of usable information. Telling the truth's about the Ford 9" rearend. It has been stated it is a good unit when built up properly but the stock stuff is no better than an 8-3/4. Plus it consumes more power to spin. It has also been stated that there are more aftermarket parts for a 9". It has been stated that the cost of either will be close. I have been down the For 9" road rebuilding one and also rebuilt a 8-3/4 and had some narrowing done and I found the cost to be nearly the same also. I'm not sure what you were looking for unless it was for a total agreement that the Ford is a better rear than a 8-3/4 which most of us don't feel it is so were not going to agree to it. You need to re-read the posts. There's plenty of useful information in it. But if you've got your heart set on a 9" then don't bother reading it again. Just do it.

well the reason i was also considering the 9 inch against the 8-3/4 is the strength...alot of guys run narrowed 9 inch fords and it seems like for good reason...and as great as any deal is, it never hurts to try to find a better one, especially when building on a tight budget

mshred, I agree with you on always trying to find a better deal LOL, but as others here have said, the 9" is really not that great without all of the expensive aftermarket "goodies". So just be sure you're not comparing apples to oranges since some of the other guys running the 9" probably have most of the "goodies" and in that case would have a very strong rear. However as we both know, the "goodies" don't come cheap so I don't think you could build a 9" that is considerably stronger than an 8 3/4" without spending serious bucks.

Also, in all fairness to those who responded, you didn't provide any specific info on exactly what your combo was going to be other than to say you wanted to build a really quick street car. To some that may mean 400-500hp and to others 700-800hp, and that would make quite a difference on deciding things like which rear to run etc. Good luck on your project whichever way you decide to go.

I'm running the Ford 9" in my 1964 Dart. It was FREE so I jumped on it. I looked for the 8.75 ,but everyone wanted $200-$400 here in Michigan and I still had to cut it down being I mini tubbed the my car. So either way I was buying all new axles,bearings,etc. Yes the Ford 9" looses power,is heavier,but unless you are building a full race car I don't think you would notice. I'm very happy with the 9" in my car. Jysnflem

DSC_8374.jpg

You know I read this post when you first wrote it but thought, naw I'll just let it go. Today after more was added I decided to re-read all posts up to the point of it and see only 1 post seems negative, referring to putting down the crack pipe. I'm sure he just meant it jokingly. Sorry if it offended you. You state above that the only type of response you got was from Mopar purists and you have no time for them. It seems to me that all but that one post have been objectionable and full of usable information. Telling the truth's about the Ford 9" rearend. It has been stated it is a good unit when built up properly but the stock stuff is no better than an 8-3/4. Plus it consumes more power to spin. It has also been stated that there are more aftermarket parts for a 9". It has been stated that the cost of either will be close. I have been down the For 9" road rebuilding one and also rebuilt a 8-3/4 and had some narrowing done and I found the cost to be nearly the same also. I'm not sure what you were looking for unless it was for a total agreement that the Ford is a better rear than a 8-3/4 which most of us don't feel it is so were not going to agree to it. You need to re-read the posts. There's plenty of useful information in it. But if you've got your heart set on a 9" then don't bother reading it again. Just do it.

I think you need to go back and reread what was written..i dont really need people, including you, to tell me not to put a 9 inch in my car because its Ford...yes there was lots of useful information, and no i dont want people to agree with a 9 inch....it just seems to me that all the Ford bashing because you are a mopar guy is really immature...i asked about the cost, durability, etc. of a Ford 9 inch. not whether or not you or anyone else thinks it belongs under the rear of my car...my heart was never set on a 9 inch, just on the cheapest route i could go without sacrificing strength and performance...thank you to all the responses with helpful information...I have decided to go with the 8-3/4, so all you Mopar purists can put down your anti ford flags and crawl back in your holes

and by the way, joke or not, crack is for total losers, and i dont appreciate anyone associating me with that group because i mentioned something about using ford parts...here we go again, another mopar purist....

I think you need to go back and reread what was written..i dont really need people, including you, to tell me not to put a 9 inch in my car because its Ford...yes there was lots of useful information, and no i dont want people to agree with a 9 inch....it just seems to me that all the Ford bashing because you are a mopar guy is really immature...i asked about the cost, durability, etc. of a Ford 9 inch. not whether or not you or anyone else thinks it belongs under the rear of my car...my heart was never set on a 9 inch, just on the cheapest route i could go without sacrificing strength and performance...thank you to all the responses with helpful information...I have decided to go with the 8-3/4, so all you Mopar purists can put down your anti ford flags and crawl back in your holes

and by the way, joke or not, crack is for total losers, and i dont appreciate anyone associating me with that group because i mentioned something about using ford parts...here we go again, another mopar purist....

I did go back and read every post to see why you got all worked up about things. The only thing I saw was a joke by a member and a couple guys that said an 8-3/4 is the only way to go. Sorry if that offends you. I do ask you to please show me where any of my posts say not to use a ford rearend under your car or anywhere that I bashed it??? Please quote them as I'd like to see them. You asked for opinions about the cost, durability of a ford 9" and that's all most of us told you. That the cost is nearly the same. I never mentioned once that only a Mopar rearend belongs under your car. I do like Mopars but I also like many other brands of cars so I don't know where you get off calling me a Mopar purist and immature just because I questioned you. One thing I can say is that the only information I (and most others) gave you was only facts about each rearend.

By the way if you don't need people like me trying to answer a question honestly why ask on a public board? I don't know everything but I have been around long enough to know some things. But you don't have to worry about me trying to help you again. That won't happen.

Talk about immature.....

Yup, I'm with fishy68, Info, humor and brand X bashing are part of our way of communicating here. But I won't offer you my opinion again.

fishy68, when i wrote about the bashing i was referring to the other guys who posted, not you...excuse me that my grammar it wasnt the best...i was attempting to explain what the other posts came across as... as i said before, the posts were helpful, including yours, its just really irritating when people just shut things out because it isnt Mopar, thats all...i spoke up about that, and if it bothers you, too bad...if you choose not to reply to my posts, i really dont care since you arent really God on mopars, and like i said before people who go on here bashing things are the immature ones, not me. as for SGBarracuda, you just prove my point....a forum is supposed to be a place where people share opinions, not put others opinions down...if i want to put a bloody honda engine in my car, please don't tell me im on crack...thats an insult, and im pretty sure that somewhere on this site it says not to do that type of stuff...I know everyone here is a mopar guy and has it in their blood- i know because i am one too....but the fact is i like the other brands too (chev, ford...yes i typed FORD for you other purists out there) and if i ask a reasonable question about one of their parts, i just want an answer to what i asked....theres no need to tell me why you dont like Ford's cuz i really couldnt give two *****...if your tring to tell me that bashing is how you do things on here then i'll give you my opinion- grow up and please be kind about what people are asking and refrain from insults since im pretty sure you would want the same done to you (not to mention its site rules)....im done responding to this topic considering it has turned into an all out flame fest with some grown men really acting immature....thanks to all who contributed useful information =)

Whoa, I said your on Crack? You better reread thru this thread, it wasn't me. But your right this thread is a dead end.

-
Back