8 3/4 posi unit change

-
Exactly… :popcorn:
And yet the 64 and older had a pumpkin with an Eaton Suregrip, same as the Eaton suregrip in the 8.75. All the inside guts are the same size and most are interchangeable except there is a different spline count for the side gears for the Chevy axles. And yes I do know this for a fact. And yes Chevy called it a posi traction. Olds and Buick had a bigger version of it. Kim

And yet the 64 and older had a pumpkin with an Eaton Suregrip, same as the Eaton suregrip in the 8.75. All the inside guts are the same size and most are interchangeable except there is a different spline count for the side gears for the Chevy axles. And yes I do know this for a fact. And yes Chevy called it a posi traction. Olds and Buick had a bigger version of it. Kim
Yea. But you’re missing the point

It's the guy's first day on here and giving him grief is not my idea of a warm welcome. He asked for some help how about we give it to him and present ourselves as being better than a bunch of dipshits.
Fine. Some lessons are learned harder than others

Fine. Some lessons are learned harder than others
Here's a lesson for you if all you've got to worry about is somebody using the term Posi then you really don't have much of a life. Maybe you should examine that. Instead of worrying about somebody calling a suregrip a posi.
The guy said he was new to this can't you get that through your head.

Here's a lesson for you if all you've got to worry about is somebody using the term Posi then you really don't have much of a life. Maybe you should examine that. Instead of worrying about somebody calling a suregrip a posi.
The guy said he was new to this can't you get that through your head.
Have to learn at some point right?

I currently have an 8 3/4 with a 489 case with a set of 3.91 gears and a posi unit installed. I am wanting the make the car (75 Duster) a bit more friendly on the highway by installing a set of 3.23 gears. I have a complete rear end out of a D200 with a 489 case that has the gears, but it does not have Posi. My question is, how hard is it to swap the posi unit from case to case? I dont know, but I believe it's a stock unit with the posi.
The 3.23 is my favorite street ratio. In fact, it is so popular that the new Strange 60 9.75 rear ends that Dr. Diff sells now has the option for 3.23! Up to this point, the 3.55 was the lowest numerical we could get. Tire diameter certainly plays into how well this will work on the street too.

You are stepping into a fun project, so learn a ton and enjoy!

If you don't have the adjuster, on the right axle shaft, shown in the pic, then I question whether you really have an 8-3/4" axle housing. Furthermore, if you haven't even looked/read some FSM's about setting up axles, perhaps you should postpone this endeavor until you've done some more research, especially if you're depending on this vehicle for transportation.

You may want to upgrade to green bearings while you have it apart.

and I apologize for the rest of the people giving you a hard time about the posi reference.

-
Back